walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Hazy Shade of Winter

A Hazy Shade of Winter

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall an Fhudair

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Tairbeirt

Date walked: 27/10/2018

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 37.15 km

Ascent: 2750m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

27th October 2018 – Ben Vorlich
14.68km
1030m ascent
3 hours 50 minutes

Another sunny Saturday, another morning spent working in Helensburgh. Fortunately I escaped at midday and was parked up at Inveruglas by 1. It was a gorgeous afternoon – this is such a stunning time of year and the sun was shining on Loch Lomond, but it was absolutely baltic 8)

I headed off along the road (well sign-posted – this was a far cry from my normal off-piste malarkey :lol: ), past the Power Station and managed to head up the wrong track into a boggy field :roll: I climbed over a fence, crossed the railway, climbed another gate and I was on the right track again….oopsies :lol:

Beinn Narnain to the left

It was really warm and although I’d put a load of layers on at the car I had to strip them back off again as I made my way up the glen towards the Sloy Dam 8)

I reached the path – I remember hearing people complaining about this path but it had clearly been improved since then :thumbup:

Looking back to Beinn Narnain

As I climbed higher I could see Loch Sloy

The path climbed steeply and I could see some crags ahead above me 8)

Loch Lomond was coming into view

Approaching a steeper section, the path wound its way through these rocks exposing some big crevasses that it would kind of suck to fall into :shock:

Loch Lomond 8) (any excuse to stop – it was a tough climb!)

It was really sunny but also freezing cold – there was a brutal wind that ripped across the mountain in the exposed areas. But look – wee silhouttos 8)

Loch Arklet

Now on the ridge for real there were lots of impressive rocky outcrops and although there had been bits of ice further down, I was now into proper frozen ground. There’s something really satisfying about the thunk of a boot on a frozen path 8)

Looking across to Ben More and Stob Binnein – significantly more snow there making it look like something out of Lord of the Rings 8)

As I climbed higher up the ridge I could see down Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond – what a day 8)

This was all unfamiliar to me as last time I was here I had been up from the other side, and also it had been clagmaggeddon and I’d actually spent ages wandering around trying to find the summit :lol:

I finally reached the trig point although according to the OS map the real summit is the cairn a few metres further North.

Looking north towards Ben Lui

Looking into the far distance I could see a heathy dusting of snow in Glencoe

The trig point and Ben Lomond in the distance

The Arrochar Alps

Sitting on top of a big rock 8)

Beinn Bhuidhe and Cruachan

It was looking dark in the distance :shock:

Loch Sloy and Binnein an Fhidhleir

It was really cold – the wind was really strong and it was freezing :shock: So I headed off down the path, stopping to pose in the sun 8)

Arrochar Alps

Narnain and the Cobbler 8)

Home time….

Looking back up….

Despite it being so cold I just couldn’t get over what a stunning afternoon it was 8)

Looking down the steep slopes of Ben Vorlich to Sloy Dam

As I made my way down I looked back – steep wee bugger :shock:

Loch Lomond

The light was starting to drop a little

A dam fine view (I’m here all day :wink: )

Back on the track it was an easy walk back

I met a few other folk on the way out and chattered to them (not like me at all…. :lol: )

I hadn’t thought it looked like much of a sunset but maybe it would have been worth waiting up high…

A wee visit to the Falls of Falloch turned out to be muddy but impressive (mostly impressive that I didn’t fall over :lol: )

Vorlich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

28th October 2018 – Meall na Fhudair & Beinn Damhain
18.17km
1309m ascent
5 hours 50 minutes

It was a cold night but I was warm and toasty inside my sleeping bag. I’d also had an extra hours sleep! I was awake nice and early and parked up at 7.30. I managed to squeeze Colonel Mustard in near a fence without blocking any entrances. The moon was shining in a beautiful blue sky – it was shaping up to be another stunner 8)

Glen Falloch farm

I headed down the road a short distance before heading up the correct track today :lol: This led me to a bridge over the railway today :roll:

The track climbed steeply uphill – again the extra layers came off fairly soon :shock: Ben More was poking out and looking inviting 8)

The track contoured around Troisgeach Bheag….

….which soon gave me some great views down the northern tip of Loch Lomond

The track then began to zig zag upwards

The sun began to peek out 8)

The amazing colours and early morning 8)

Eventually it was time to leave the track – there were a few traces of a path to follow in places but it was basically off-piste :roll:

The sun was properly up now

Looking up Glen Falloch

As I climbed higher the views increased

Ben Lui, Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

It was rough ground – fortunately a lot of the soggier bits were at least partially frozen making it a lot easier underfoot, although I did manage to stick both feet in the same bog :roll:

Glen Falloch

It was tough work but an enjoyable climb – the wind was significantly reduced from the day before which made sticking to the rocky ridges the nicest way up.

Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond

How on earth does this rock stay upright? :shock:

And finally I was on the summit of Troisgeach 8)

Another perfect day 8)

Meall nan Caora and Cruachan

Beinn Damhain and the Arrochar hills

Towards Ben More

The summit of Meall an Fhudair – looks a long way away :shock:

Although the route description said to bypass Meall nan Caora I figured I might as well go over it – and it turned out to be another great viewpoint as well as a slightly drier route

A wee frozen lochan

Ahead to Meall an Fhudair

The bealach would normally have been a bog fest but largely frozen all I had to do was dodge the lochans

It was a relatively easy climb and there were traces of a path which became much more pathlike as I climbed higher. Finally at the top the views down to Loch Fyne opened out 8)

Loch Fyne and the Paps of Jura

Beinn Bhuidhe

The Cruachan range

Bens Lui, Oss and Dubhchraig

North – Ben Challum I think

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Arrochar skyline

Meall an Fhudair summit

Troisgeach and the Crianlarich hills

Lochan Beinn Damhain

I sat and enjoyed the views for a while before heading down the south side of Meall an Fhudair – it was a much easier descent than I had feared although I did scare off a big herd of deer :lol:

Beinn Damhain ahead

After a while I picked up a burn which I followed downwards – it cut an impressive groove in the hillside

The ground became a bit squishy at the bottom as I hopped across a couple of burns – looking back to the lochan

Whoops I didn’t need to drop down this low :lol:

It was a steep climb up towards the ridge of Beinn Damhain – fortunately it was in the shade which made for a slightly easier ascent :lol:

Finally on something of a ridge I could see back to the lochan

The summit of Beinn Damhain ahead

Reaching the summit the views down Glen Falloch were back 8)

Loch Sloy glinting below Ben Vane

Beinn Bhuidhe and Cruachan

Paps of Jura

Ben More

Beinn Damhain summit

Meall an Fhudair with Bens Lui, Oss & Dubhchraig

Ben Vorlich, Loch Sloy and Ben Vane

It was chilly – I enjoyed the views for a while before heading downwards – it was craggy and steep to start with and lost height quickly

Meall an Fhudair

Lochan Beinn Damhain and Ben Vorlich

There were some more steep sections and I was into heather and rocks – treacherous ankle-breaking territory but I made it down intact :roll:

I was finally on a track, across a bridge and on the home straight – looking back up my descent

The railway viaduct

I got back to the car before 2pm thanks to my early start. It was such a nice day that it seemed a shame to head home so early, so I hatched a master plan 8)

Meall na Fhudair & Beinn Damhain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cruach Tairbeirt
4.30km
411m ascent
2 hours 21 minutes

I stopped at Inveruglas for a cup of tea (and a pee :wink: ) before heading down the road…it was a beautiful afternoon and everyone was out and about. However I eventually found myself parked up at Arrochar and Tarbet station.

I had scanned through Denfinella’s report and sure enough, as I sat in the car I could see a lady wandering around looking at my car….as I got out to put my boots up she came over and let me know that I was parked in a railway carpark and that I was supposed to park at the bottom of the road… I pointed out that there were no signs to this effect and she admitted that as it was late I was probably ok. As I headed for the underpass she did remind me again that I really shouldn’t be parked there :roll: I thanked her for informing me and headed uphill :lol:

The path was easy to follow initially, despite there being a few fallen or felled trees to climb over. Ben Lomond was visible through the trees 8)

The path was fairly clear although it got progressively muddier as I climbed. The forestry wasn’t too dense and it was easy to dodge the worst of the mud.

As the forestry came to an end it became impossible to climb out as there were uprooted trees and a big bank of mud – a bit of exploration found me a bit where I could scramble up and I was onto the hill for real.

The views onto Loch Lomond were wonderful in the Autumn evening light 8)

Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler

I headed up through grass and soon picked up a path – turns out I’d missed a turning in the forest :roll:

As I climbed higher I could start to see down Loch Long – it was going to be a good one 8)

The Brack and the Cobbler

The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain

Loch Lomond opening out

The path was fairly squishy a lot of the time but it was decent underfoot and led me easily uphill. I was at the summit in well under an hour and having a wee wander around gave me spectacular views in all directions 8)

The summit of Cruach Tairbeirt with Beinn Narnain and Ben Vane behind

Loch Long and the sun making its descent behind The Brack

Ben Vane, Loch Sloy and Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

The Cobbler

I tried to get a Jaxter on the trig point but the camera angle wouldn’t work and this was the best I could manage :lol: :lol:

So had to make do with using the trig as a tripod :lol:

Ben Vorlich and Loch Lomond

Ben Vorlich

Ben Lomond

I headed a wee bit West to a wee hill which made gave me a better view down Loch Long for the sunset, which was pretty awesome 8)

Looking back to the summit

Loch Lomond

The Cobbler

Sunset behind The Brack 8)

It was really cold :shock:

The sky didn’t quite light up in the way I hoped but it was still stunning 8)

The Cobbler

Now it was just starting to get dark and it was time to get down the hill….

Looking back up – a wee hill but some impressive cliffs

Loch Lomond

I actually followed the path this time which led me into the forest without any acrobatics :lol: The head torch was on as it was dark in the forest and soon I was crashing around in undergrowth :lol:

Safely on the trail made for easier walking (no big tree trunks to climb over :lol: ) and soon I saw the lights of the station and then my car, in the still virtually empty car park :roll: Fortunately the car park lady was safely inside out of the dark and cold and I was able to drive off in peace.

A wonderful weekend – sometimes all you need is some beautiful weather, great hills and a bit of alone time 8)

Cruach Tairbeirt.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A Hazy Shade of Winter

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Ha .. i nearly always walk alone 8) ....well there is the dog :D

My tactic when challenged on accessing the hills ? ...a bit of Gaelic ;)

Great sunset photos :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby iainR » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 pm

Visited Ben Vorlich on Saturday with a mate and his phone failed on the summit due to the temperatures !
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby malky_c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Perfect weekend, pretty much. Perhaps some snow would have improved it, but not by very much 8) . Looks like you've forgotten how to set up your camera for Jaxter poses though :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Ha .. i nearly always walk alone 8) ....well there is the dog :D

My tactic when challenged on accessing the hills ? ...a bit of Gaelic ;)

Great sunset photos :clap:

I do enjoy company, but it has to be the right company :wink: And some days I just want to be alone. Let's face it, I'm a hermit. Good shout on the Gaelic though - I'd better start learning :shock:

iainR wrote:Visited Ben Vorlich on Saturday with a mate and his phone failed on the summit due to the temperatures !

It was baltic wasn't it :shock: :shock: Well worth it though. I probably came past you on my way up!

malky_c wrote:Perfect weekend, pretty much. Perhaps some snow would have improved it, but not by very much 8) . Looks like you've forgotten how to set up your camera for Jaxter poses though :lol: .

Clearly I've got too used to having a minion with me.... :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby brpro26 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:21 am

Nice photos....to be honest I started to get bored a bit samey so started scrolling quickly through them....until I hit the one titled "It was really cold"....nearly shat myself. That will teach me....next time give some warning in advance. :lol: :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby denfinella » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Pretty special weekend by the looks of it, especially for late October!

Think you got away lightly with the lady at Arrochar & Tarbet station :shock:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Wow, lovely conditions. Some great images.

Can I just point out that there are only 2 days in a weekend, therefore 2 walks is your allotted quota. Anymore is taking the mick! :D :lol: :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 pm

brpro26 wrote:Nice photos....to be honest I started to get bored a bit samey so started scrolling quickly through them....until I hit the one titled "It was really cold"....nearly shat myself. That will teach me....next time give some warning in advance. :lol: :lol:

Serves you right :lol: :lol: :lol:

denfinella wrote:Pretty special weekend by the looks of it, especially for late October!

Think you got away lightly with the lady at Arrochar & Tarbet station :shock:

Yes, it was incredible 8) She's a bit of a piece of work isn't she..just hope she doesn't put other folk off :shock:

Mal Grey wrote:Wow, lovely conditions. Some great images.

Can I just point out that there are only 2 days in a weekend, therefore 2 walks is your allotted quota. Anymore is taking the mick! :D :lol: :clap:

Thankyou :lol: :lol: It was a bit greedy, but I couldn't resist a good wee sunset 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland