walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor (Glen Lochay) in snow.

Creag Mhor (Glen Lochay) in snow.

Postby andrew11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 16/11/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got to Kenknock, Glen Lochay at 9 am after driving from Arbroath. Was delayed on the road due to black ice especialy from Killin which was like an icerink and as soon as I put pressure on the pedal on my bike to head down the track the back wheel skidded and I ended up sliding along on my backside! Fortunately there was no damage to bike or rider.

I biked gingerly as far as Bataveine, left the bike and took to the hill. The going was good with the bogs frozen and weather dry but dull. Headed up the Sron Nan Eun ridge after a good little scramble to get on to it. I was in snow above 700m, and in mist above 800. The climb was really good fun.
2climb.JPG
poles handy!

No view from the top and hard to place camera (on my own).
1mhor.JPG
oops, lost my head!

I had intended going to Beinn Heasgarnich too but as I had lost a lot of time, decided to return the way I had come.

Some ice sculptures which I saw on the way down.
5icefall.JPG
6icefingers.JPG

Got some partial views on the way down.
8descent.JPG
7glimps.JPG

Great day on the hills!! Is there any other kind?
Last edited by andrew11 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Creag Mhor

Postby davetherave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:28 pm

andrew11 wrote:I had intended going to Beinn Heasgarnich too but as I had lost a lot of time, decided to return the way I had come.

Now that would have meant a rather long day. With shorter days and the changing conditions you made the correct decision.

A fine excuse to come back a a later date..... Well done. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland