walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Ochils at the end of the rainbow

The Ochils at the end of the rainbow

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:47 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch, King's Seat Hill, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 09/09/2018

Time taken: 5.35 hours

Distance: 18.78 km

Ascent: 1325m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn’t seen Colin in a while so when we stumbled upon a mutually free day where we were in similar parts of the country it seemed an ideal opportunity to get out. The forecast wasn’t looking too bad (nor too great either!) so it didn’t seem worth driving too far so we went for the Ochils – my usual go-to when the weather is a bit meh….

We began our meander in Tillicoultry and wandered straight up Mill Glen past the quarry…

…and then up the path and over the wee bridges and wooden staircases. This whole glen had been closed off a few years back to fix the path and they have done a good job – it’s like a wee trim trail all the way through!

As we climbed out of the top I realised that we’d actually missed the turning to go straight ahead up the hillside and we had meandered to the right. This didn’t matter at all as the whole idea was a bit of an aimless wander :lol:

Looking back down Mill Glen

The right hand side was where I had been aiming for, but we had been distracting by catching up on about 4 months worth of chat :lol:

My new working plan was vaguely that we could head up to King’s Seat Hill, over to Tarmangie Hill and then back over Ben Cleuch. As we reached the ridge it became pretty wet underfoot and then even wetter from the sky….waterproofs on already :roll:

It was easy walking (that’s one of the reasons I love the Ochils – you can just walk and walk for miles) and soon we were approaching the top of King’s Seat Hill (the actual summit is somewhere near where this photo was taken from but the cairn makes it feel like a bit more of a climax :lol: )

It was very windy but it had stopped raining (and started, and stopped and started and stopped again :roll: ) and the views were not too bad!

Me on the (not) summit of King’s Seat Hill

From here we dropped down into the Glen of Sorrow :shock: towards Tarmangie Hill. It was quite steep and slippery in places and I’d be lying if I said I’d managed to stay on my feet the whole way down (should probably start wearing those new boots :roll: )

Down the bottom we hopped elegantly over a burn (some more elegantly than others :roll: :lol: ) before heading up towards Tarmangie Hill

Initially steep, the ground levelled out more as we climbed; approaching the top it was a hop over a fence to the summit.

The views down towards Glen Sherup were opening out

Towards Whitewisp Hill

It was windy and still raining on and off so we headed back along the ridge heading for Andrew Gannel Hill

This was boggy in places as we followed fenceposts over minor (and more major) bumps…

As we began the final climb onto Andrew Gannel Hill we got a glimpse of some wonderful wind farms (and also Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’ Chroin behind :wink: )

Looking back towards Tarmangie Hill

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’ Chroin

On the summit on Andrew Gannel Hill it was super windy :shock:

Looking over to Ben Ever – our descent route (possibly)

Ben Cleuch – our next target (probably :lol: )

Another rainbow

Looking back – Andrew Gannel and King’s Seat

It was an easy climb up to Ben Cleuch, it rained on and off, but more off than on now and the views were a little more lasting :lol:

We made it to the summit of Ben Cleuch – not as windy as my first visit here :shock:

Dumyat and Blairdenon (probably not heading there today :lol: )

Oh look, the weather is coming in again :lol:

Summit of Ben Cleuch

"Try again!" "No, it's too windy!"

Fighting against the wind we decided to head back down Ben Ever and back to the cars. It was turning into a lovely afternoon despite the wind and rain 8)

The Forth Bridges

Ahead down the ridge from Ben Ever

Happy because the sun is shining 8)

Looking back to the lovely Ochils 8)

Andrew Gannel with another rainbow

The bridges again

Although it was drier now the grass was still damp and I managed to perform a sort of rolling somersault much to Colin’s amusement :lol:

Looking back up from the top of Mill Glen

We figured our path would eventually link up with our outward route and just kept going…

Colin as a silhouette

Except I tried to be too clever….

Back we went until we met an actual path :lol: This did link onto our outward route and it was an easy walk back down Mill Glen :lol:

Another cracking meander around the Ochils. Pretty sweet having this pretty much in my back yard, and lovely to catch up with Colin as always :thumbup:
Attachments

Ochils.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland