walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vrackie: Second choice walk

Ben Vrackie: Second choice walk

Postby Dr_sue » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 01/11/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off for Schiehallion but a road accident blocked the road and delayed me so running out of time and light, headed back to Pitlochry to go up Ben Vrackie instead. Not a Munro obvs but a clear sunny day and a good path made it a lovely start to the walk. The weather closed in on the moorland section and wondered if I should head back but kept on to the loch as path very easy. Had not realised that the third section (after the mystical looking loch) would be a steep upward path of stones, wet from the low cloud and seemed to just go on and on. No other walkers until one came down, mentioning snow further up as they passed me. Wasn’t expecting that as in my mind it was a gentle autumn day- shows my inexperience on Scottish tops! Anyway kept going up and up, with the snow along the way gradually increasing until I saw the summit. By then it was feeling very cold and the wind was up so I put all my warm extra layers on, took a photo and ate my sandwich, hoping the cloud might clear off. But it didn’t so conscious of the time I headed back down the seemingly endless wet stone stepped path, wanting to go quickly but taking care not to slip. Knees were complaining a bit too. Passed 3 people on their way up (seemed a bit late as less than an hour to sunset) but they looked okay apart from one without gloves! As I got close to the loch, the cloud started breaking up, giving glimpses of the great views I’d read about. By the time I got past the loch and relieved to be on the easier path, the views were wonderful so I took a few photos, then got moving to complete the walk and head to The Moulin for a well-deserved Old Remedial. Good stretching walk with plenty of steep ascent and a bit of snow underfoot so perfect practice for tomorrow’s Munro.
Dr_sue
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Vrackie: Second choice walk

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

? photos.
First time I did this, I was to collect husband from Edinburgh Airport, and it was about the only one I could rely on getting there in time, but was so glad I did. It is a lovely hill, what a pity you didn't see it at its best. Never mind, a great excuse for going back (as I have, twice). Some Corbetts are better than many Munros, and this is one.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland