walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chullaich - Finishing the year off properly

Beinn a'Chullaich - Finishing the year off properly

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Date walked: 27/11/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.6 km

Ascent: 705m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our institute goes on a weekend trip to Kinloch Rannoch every year to stay at the splendid Dunalastair Hotel. Last year a friend and I climbed Schiehallion and the corbett Beinn a'Chuallaich in some really nasty wet windy weather. This year the forecast called for blizzards and heavy snow, but thankfully the blizzard did not come until Sunday afternoon as we all tried to get back to St Andrews :? . The weather on Saturday was promising, with the cloud just on the summit of Schiehallion. So 10 of us headed down the road to Drumglas Farm around 1pm. From here we walked up to the farmhouse and crossed a stile that leads under the power lines and onto the main track. The track zigzags uphill and a sign posted 'hill path' points you in the right direction at a fork. From here the path was pretty icy in places and several of our gang slid around and busted their tails a time or two. But the track is well constructed and easy to follow and we gained height without too much effort. Two of our group blazed ahead, while two others turned back around the 700m mark. Once we reached the point where we were perpindicular to the summit we turned right and started up the slopes of Beinn a'Chuallaich. The two quicker walkers had practically reached the ridgeline as I led the others up. There were only a few sections of slick hard snow to negotiate on the side of the hill, but with a few zigs and zags we managed to walk in the soft stuff until we made the top. The views were outstanding, great light back toward Glencoe, and Schiehallion made for a good backdrop as well. The only place that the wind had any effect on us was at the top, so we did not hang around too long. From the top we went back to the bealach between Beinn a'Chuallaich and Meall nan Eun where the slope made for an easy, but fun descent. The wind here was blowing the snow about an inch off the ground and when set against the backdrop of the orange ball in the sky it was a truly splendid sight. The sun was setting over Glencoe as we regained the main track and headed down. After an enjoyable descent we got back to our cars at 4 and congratulated each other on a fine expedition.

I wasn't sure if I'd do another hill this year, seeing how Ben Lomond seemed to be a good way to finish the year, being my 100th munro and all. But this corbett is a gem, especially in the conditions we had. It was really nice to share the glory of a winter hillwalking day with some great folks - seems a better way to end what has been a remarkable year in the hills for me!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Winter in Kinloch Rannoch.jpg

Back toward Schiehallion.jpg

Not much farther gang.jpg

When Glencoe came into view.jpg

Toward Glencoe on ascent.jpg

Beinn a Chuallaich - from the track - straight up from this point.jpg

One happy Canadian.jpg

Looking north toward the A9.jpg

Success.jpg

A happy bunch at the top.jpg

A cold crew at the trig point.jpg

Beinn a Chuallaich summit with Schiehallion.jpg

Loch Rannoch from Beinn a Chuallaich.jpg

Sunset on descent.jpg

The crew enjoying the rapid descent.jpg

Sunset over Loch Rannoch.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a'Chullaich - Finishing the year off properly

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 am

You're absolutely right Stretch - this one's a wee gem. Very reminiscent of nearby Beinn Mholach too, with the huge dun-like cairn and trig pillar set a short distance away. One thing confuses me though! :? You talk about finishing the year off..... but it's only November! No December plans? Or are you heading back across the Pond shortly?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:You're absolutely right Stretch - this one's a wee gem. Very reminiscent of nearby Beinn Mholach too, with the huge dun-like cairn and trig pillar set a short distance away. One thing confuses me though! :? You talk about finishing the year off..... but it's only November! No December plans? Or are you heading back across the Pond shortly?

Yeah I am heading back home Dec 15 and won't be back for a month. Then its a winter skills course for me at Glenmore Lodge before I head out again. We'll have to get on a hill together at some point next year Graeme.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Stretch wrote:We'll have to get on a hill together at some point next year Graeme.

That would be great Stretch. It would be a pleasure to join up with you in the hills next year sometime! 8) Enjoy your time back home.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alastair S » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Some fab photos there Stretch. Really enjoyed your reports over the last year so thanks & enjoy your break. I dare say there will be some snow left for you come January :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Cheers Alastair, likewise I've enjoyed following your reports, especially when we've covered the same ground.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby nathan79 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Cracking sunset there. What a way to finish off the year's walking. A fine tally for the year, i still want to get one more Munro but the way things are now that may not be possible.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Stretch,

Another fine report with some cracking pictures. :D
Glad your buddies enjoyed there trip.
This probably sounds really silly,do you really feel you need to do the winter skills coarse,
They do say " you never stop learning " :?

Enjoy your time back home
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Many thanks Nathan and Dave. I just think that being a native of sunny Florida and a recent resident of Tennessee that I would feel more comfy in the winterclad hills if I had some practice with the ice axe arrest, crampon use, navigation, and the avalanche awareness info wouldn't hurt. Trial by error sometimes is not a good idea :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Looks nice - it is a cracking hill.

A good addition to your Corbett Round :lol:
kinley

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Well done on the 100 Stretch (I know it wasn't this day!) and this trip looks a belter too :)

Have a good time back in the US.

I'm of similar mind re a winter course - I did one day course last winter but only went out a couple of times with the winter tools and it was nothing major, so sid0995 and I are doing a cheapo one day Tiso course in a few weeks- I found the last one (ran by a guy in Kintail MRT) very useful. Many people advocate joining a club, going out with others,etc...which is all good, but a dedicated training day can cover a hell of a lot.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Great photos, particuarly towards the end :D . Slight sense of deja vu though :wink:

Still to do this one. Handy distance from the A9 though, so will get there at some point.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Nice one Stretch, love the photo of the sunset.

Back in a month? Winter skills course? Taking this walking lark serious eh :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Stretch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 am

Cheers you guys. Definetely taking it seriously Dooterbang, I will be telling stories about my time on the Scottish hills for a long time once I return to the states.

Malky, if you do this I'd say head back down the ridgeline from the top to meet back at the track lower down, should give you better views the whole way down, especially since you'd be facing Schiehallion the entire way.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Sorry I missed this post big man,looks like you all had a fine day there,hope you enjoy your time back home with your family,and have a very merry xmas,( ps turning into a couch potato nearly 4 weeks since iv" had my boots on )
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland