walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braebag, caves, old bones and a link that goes back 60 years

Braebag, caves, old bones and a link that goes back 60 years

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Route description: Breabag and the Caves of Assynt

Corbetts included on this walk: Breabag

Date walked: 04/09/2018

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first attempt on Braebag was scuppered by low cloud, when the rest of the group were more interested in the caves and weren't too bothered about the hill and I reckoned to push them on in nil visibilty wasn't the best idea. Coming for a second attempt with Liz I knew there was more likelihood of reaching the summit, whatever the weather threw at us.

The path as far as the caves is excellent, passing the pretty waterfall on the Allt nan Uamh (Burn of the Caves), then the spring bubbling up from the ground with the strangely dry riverbed above. This is a feature of limestone country where a watercourse can disappear underground, appearing again further on in its journey. The water emerging here disappeared underground a kilometre further upstream.

Underground spring
IMG_6679-large.JPG

It was a lovely autumn morning with blue sky above Canisp to the west.

View back to Canisp
IMG_6681-large.JPG

We took the direct route to the caves, crossing the riverbed and taking a right fork up the side of the hill towards the cliffs that hold the caves.

Bone caves
IMG_6685-largec.JPG

Excavations have unearthed the bones of wolves, bears, lynx and arctic foxes that took refuge in these caves when Scotland’s climate was much colder than it is now. Reindeer bones and antlers have also been found, but reindeer are unlikely to have entered the caves, and so it is unclear how these remains accumulated. Human artefacts and bones have been found in the caves, but very few have been dated. However, the discovery of a 2000 year old walrus ivory pin in one of the caves tells us that people were here by the Iron Age (~700 BC to AD 500). For more about the caves see report from my previous visit.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76626

IMG_6687-largec.JPG

Route to Braebag continues up dry riverbed
IMG_6686-largec.JPG

Instead we turned right, joining this path from higher up
IMG_6718-large.JPG

To be honest this was a mistake on my part and I initially thought the path that swung round the hill of caves was the way WH meant. The path continued for a short distance up a grassy gully then fizzled out which is when we realised we weren't on the intended route. We veered to the left and struck out over heathery moorland towards Braebag, which lay to the east like a grey hull of an upturned ship. There was no path but it wasn't difficult walking and with the benefit of hindsight wasn't a bad way to go, especially since we returned by the WH route, which was quite badly eroded at one point on the steep side of the gully.

Braebag across the moor
IMG_6688-largec.JPG

We decided against a full frontal attack up the rock slabs and headed for a grassy gully over to the left. Looking back we could see our earlier route up the dry riverbed via the caves.

View back - caves left of centre
IMG_6692-largec.JPG

There were no problems getting on to the ridge, with a short damp section in the grassy gully and stonier ground higher up. As we gained height we saw more of the magical Assynt landscape to the south, west and north. There's nowhere else in Scotland quite like this.

View SW from Braebag's stony ridge
IMG_6693-largec.JPG

Suilven, Canisp, Quinag
IMG_6697-largec.JPG

The summit area is a bit confusing with two parallel stony ridges. We walked south along the westerly one until we could see what looked like the summit cairn on the ridge to the east and crossed over to it. This took us out near to where a group of deer had been standing on the skyline watching us, as if bemused by our zig zag approach. As it happened we topped out on the second ridge very close to the summit, with its windshelter offering us a timely seat for lunch!

Braebag summit
IMG_6701-largec.JPG

Liz and her camera
IMG_6698-large.JPG

Once in a while you meet people you feel you should have known long ago. Liz is one of those. We first met through Walkhighlands, commenting on each another's reports, which led to doing three Affric Munros together, along with her husband Roger, their two spaniels and my two labs. It was then we discovered we are exactly the same age and as children had lived only 5 miles apart in North Yorkshire and if it wasn't for a mistaken policy of the local council would have been at the same secondary school. Years later we both spent a substantial part of our working lives in Dundee. But we never crossed paths until we had both moved to the Highlands and got connected through this site. So thanks Walkhighlands for more than good hill discoveries!

View from my seat in wind shelter
IMG_6699-largec.JPG

Assynt landscape including Ben More Coigach, Cul Beag and Cul Mor (Liz's photo with her superior camera)
braebag-27-assynt-landscape_43628497805_o.jpg

Still watching us
IMG_6703-largec.JPG

Loch Assynt and Quinag
IMG_6704-largec.JPG

North to Conival and Ben More Assynt
IMG_6705-largec.JPG

Liz and Roger had climbed these two in cloud so she was glad to get a better view of it from Braebag.

IMG_6707-largec.JPG

Descent off ridge
IMG_6708-largec.JPG

Suilven, Canisp and more deer
IMG_6709-largec.JPG

We made our way more directly to the grassy breach in the rock we came up by and headed straight down towards the dry riverbed and gully we had missed on the ascent. We found as we neared the gully several animal tracks headed that way and there was sometimes a choice which to take. We kept to the right of the riverbed, but I suspect either side would have worked.

Heading towards caves and dry riverbed
IMG_6713-largec.JPG

View back to grey hull of ship that is Braebag, our grassy gully far left
IMG_6715-largec.JPG

Gully we came down
IMG_6716-largec.JPG

The sides of the gully were steep and the paths along them narrow. I think we were on the best path but care was needed on a short eroded section where a slip on the gravel could have meant an unfortunate fall. Once over that there were no further difficulties and we were soon on the well made path below the caves.

Looking back up the limestone valley to caves and Braebag
IMG_6719-large.JPG

At the spring again
IMG_6720-largec.JPG

It was altogether a most enjoyable and interesting day out - and one to be recommended.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Braebag, caves, old bones and a link that goes back 60 y

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Some wonderful vistas but I especially like the zoom of Suilven and Canisp with the deer in the foreground. Views that bring back a lot of good memories, thanks.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Thank you for writing this up - my reports are few and far between just now and it does give me the chance to see your photos :clap: :clap: . Breabag was a lovely walk - great conditions and a great companion I will remember the discussion at the summit for years to come (providing my memory still works :roll: :D ). Your photos prove that you don't really need to drag a heavy camera up the hills - its just I prefer the results from the Pentax to those from the small cameras I have. (A roundabout way of saying I invested in the wrong compact :lol: :lol: )
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 pm

litljortindan wrote:Some wonderful vistas but I especially like the zoom of Suilven and Canisp with the deer in the foreground. Views that bring back a lot of good memories, thanks.

You can't go wrong with Assynt vistas. :D
dogplodder

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 pm

One of those views of Suilven in particular is absolutely mind blowing! :lol: Maybe not one of the classic hills in its own right but a first class viewpoint. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Thank you for writing this up - my reports are few and far between just now and it does give me the chance to see your photos :clap: :clap: . Breabag was a lovely walk - great conditions and a great companion I will remember the discussion at the summit for years to come (providing my memory still works :roll: :D ). Your photos prove that you don't really need to drag a heavy camera up the hills - its just I prefer the results from the Pentax to those from the small cameras I have. (A roundabout way of saying I invested in the wrong compact :lol: :lol: )

If I had a Pentax I'd be reluctant to leave it behind - whatever the weight of it! :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Graeme D wrote:One of those views of Suilven in particular is absolutely mind blowing! :lol: Maybe not one of the classic hills in its own right but a first class viewpoint. :clap:

Suilven is such a statement whichever way you look at it! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 pm

This must rate very highly on your hillday list, just a wonderful area, with views to die for all around. Some cracking photographs to boot. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:This must rate very highly on your hillday list, just a wonderful area, with views to die for all around. Some cracking photographs to boot. :D

It's a surprising hill. Not generally highly rated but as you say a big hit for Liz and me. :D
dogplodder

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:17 am

I need to get back to Assynt - that just looked brilliant.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I need to get back to Assynt - that just looked brilliant.

Gordie it's a surprisingly good hill, with the caves for extra interest on the way up. :D
dogplodder

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland