walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue from the main Car Park at visitor centre

Ben Venue from the main Car Park at visitor centre

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 19/05/2018

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 880m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Venue was to be the chosen hill for today, a good path most of the way and a fine weather day, it promised to be a good hill day all round.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
Ben Venue in the background
2.jpg
From the Visitor Centre walk down main road until you come to a single track road on your right, take this
3.jpg
Walk down until you see a Ben Venue signpost take this path which takes you over this bridge over the stream
4.jpg
Looking up to Ben Venue through the trees
5.jpg
A good path for walking, well made
6.jpg
Soon you come to this path junction on your right take this as it climbs up around the hill
7.jpg
Good track circling around the base of the hill and already quite busy, it seems very popular today
8.jpg
Further along the track where there has been some forestry clearances in the past
9.jpg
Climbing steeper but the gradient is very easy at this point
10.jpg
After another small climbing section this is another which forks off to the right at a well made cairn
11.jpg
Looking back towards the cairn
12.jpg
After another downhill section and yet another wee ascent. Looking back
13.jpg
Getting nearer the summit
14.jpg
From the summit looking down to Loch Achray and Loch Venachar
15.jpg
From the summit looking down at Loch Katrine and Ben A'an in the middle of the photograph
16.jpg
From summit looking down at the camping area with pods beyond Loch Katrine
17.jpg
At the summit Trig point
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Venue from the main Car Park at visitor centre

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 am

Hi Rod

Enjoyed this as I'm looking to do this hill and Ben A'an next spring - a lot of ascent for a relatively wee hill - there seem to be quite a few ups and downs along the way.

You must be catching up with your backlog of reports now??????????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Ben Venue from the main Car Park at visitor centre

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Enjoyed this as I'm looking to do this hill and Ben A'an next spring - a lot of ascent for a relatively wee hill - there seem to be quite a few ups and downs along the way.

You must be catching up with your backlog of reports now??????????

Hi Gordie, I am slowly catching up. You will really like this wee hill, easy walking all the way, and yes a good path, not like the Corbetts I've been doing recently :lol: Still not done Ben A'an, but I believe it's much busier than this one, when I do it I think I'll leave it for an evening climb, on a good day, less folk and stunning views.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland