walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon meet day 1: A short one for a late start

Torridon meet day 1: A short one for a late start

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Date walked: 10/11/2018

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 820m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn na h-Eaglaise.
Date: 10/11/2018.
Distance: 12km.
Ascent: 820m.
Time taken: 4 hours, 40 minutes.
Weather: Breezy with showers and sunshine.

While the usual 'meet flu' didn't strike me on Saturday, it's fair to say that I went to bed far too late the previous evening, and couldn't really be bothered with an early start or a big walk :lol: . No worries - I had been intending to go up Beinn na h-Eaglaise again for some time, and plenty of other people had the same idea.

Hugh, Gill, Tomsie, Andy, Lynne and I all set off up the good path from Annat at around 10:30 am. There had been showers but the views and conditions were reasonable in between. In order to make a decent walk of it, we decided to head around the back to Loch an Eoin, which was pretty much a repeat of the last time I was up here. One day I'll get around to combining this with Beinn Damh - always my intention but yet to happen.

map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tom na Gruagaich over Loch Torridon

Liathach

Pinnacles on Liathach

Liathach from Coire an Eoin

Gill and Lynn were trailing behind a bit due to not feeling at their best for various reasons, and in the end decided to turn back. The 4 of us carried on up the pathless south ridge, arriving at the summit for some of the best views of Loch Torridon in the area. While it wasn't wintery, it was decidedly chilly on the summit, and we left after taking some photos.

Beinn na h-Eaglaise from Coire an Eoin

Maol Chean-dearg and Loch an Eoin

Crossing the Allt Beithe

Sgurr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl across Loch an Eoin

Fuar Tholl and Maol Chean-dearg

Beinn Eighe from Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-stac

Liathach, Beinn Eighe and Seana Mheallan

Liathach and Beinn Eighe

Hugh, Andy and Tomsie on the summit

Torridon

There was an even better viewpoint over the loch a little further to the NW, from where we veered into Coire Roill to pick up the good path.

Loch Torridon

Looking down on Loch Torridon

East up Glen Torridon

Beinn Alligin from Coire Roill

Beinn Alligin

Crossing the Allt Coire Roill was slightly awkward (Andy probably added on another 1/4 km looking for a nice crossing place!), and we had a quick lunch stop on the far side.

Liathach from Coire Roill

Back up to Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Liathach

A quick stroll down through the woods (where we caught up with BlackPanther, Kevin and Kerrie) took us to the Torridon Inn, where we popped in for a quick pint before heading back to the hostel. Despite being a short day, I took a nice afternoon nap afterwards :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Torridon meet day 1: A short one for a late start

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm

I was really sorry to miss this one (due to CEO having an op) - I was really looking forward to it, and indeed had tentatively planned a walk not unlike this one.

Anyway, it looks like you had really decent weather...

"...couldn't really be bothered with an early start or a big walk". I'm quite shocked.... :wink:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Torridon meet day 1: A short one for a late start

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Great photos and many scenes I recognise - some of the shots remind me so much of ones I took on this super-scenic hill. We went up by Coire Roill, but the ridge and descent was identical route to yours. We were lucky with the weather!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58660

TIm
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland