walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon meet day 2: Cycle to Rua Reidh

Torridon meet day 2: Cycle to Rua Reidh

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Cuaidh

Date walked: 11/11/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: An Cuaidh.
Date: 11/11/2018.
Distance: 10.5km.
Ascent: 350m.
Time taken: 2 hours.
Weather: Sunshine greying over, with a couple of light showers.
A short walk in the middle of a 63 mile bike ride.

For day two of the meet, I could possibly have been tempted onto the high hills, but I fancied a decent cycle. Cycling seemed to be a great way to reach the not-very-interesting (but with great views) Marilyn of An Cuaidh without burning lots of extra diesel.

Beinn Eighe from Glen Torridon

Liathach

Beinn Eighe

The day dawned bright and calm, and I was parked up in Kinlochewe before 11am. I had briefly considered cycling the whole way from Torridon, but knew I would run out of daylight at some point, so shortened things a bit. Although the route is out-and-back (I usually prefer a circuit), the scenery was good enough for that not to matter. Although I've driven the road along Loch Maree and round to Gairloch countless times, there's always something great about doing it at a slower pace - the chance to spot things not normally noticed.

Slioch across Loch Maree

Beinn a’ Mhuinidh

Beinn Airigh Charr across Loch Maree

Slioch from Slattadale

Loch Gairloch from Charlestown

The road was quiet on a Sunday, and the cycle round to Gairloch seemed almost effortless, with great views across Loch Maree. At the viewpoint just before Gairloch, I spotted Alan and Martin parked up - they were re-arranging their kit before heading off to a bothy. I stopped off for a chat and some food before pushing on through Gairloch and up through Sand and Melvaig, the skies a bit more overcast now. Still some great Highland and island scenery though, and Harris felt close enough to touch.

Beach at Gairloch

Trotternish from Gairloch

Gairloch

Baosbheinn and Beinn Alligin

Harris from Sand

Trotternish of Skye

Harris from Melvaig

I'm grateful for one of litljortindan's reports for showing me how interesting the cliffs and coast are around the corner from Rua Reidh, as it meant I could come up with a better walk than just plodding to the trig point on An Cuaidh. With this in mind, I left my bike down on the lighthouse road and walked up the tarmac road to within a short distance of the radio masts. It was a short hop over peat hags from here to the summit - not an exciting walk, but well worth it for the views of Assynt (Torridon and Skye would probably have looked good too, but rain was now moving in from this direction).

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Skye from An Cuaidh

Harris from An Cuaidh

Assynt from An Cuaidh

Fisherfield from An Cuaidh

Assynt and Loch Ewe

I headed back to the masts and a short way down the road before breaking off for Camas Mor. Assynt was always in view, and when I finally reached the edge of the crags, the beach and sea at the foot of them was spectacular 8) .

Cliffs at Camas Mor

Beach at Camas Mor

Camas Mor

Camas Mor beach

I picked up a bit of a path here which led back round to the lighthouse, then along the tarmac back to the bike. Small spits of rain were starting to fall, and out to sea looked spectacularly moody.

Moody skies from Rua Reidh

Rua Reidh lighthouse

Rua Reidh lighthouse

Back at the bike, I pedalled through a couple of heavier showers as the light faded. This was great - very atmospheric as I looked out to the Trotternish peninsula. There was something of a sunset visible from Gairloch, and the last light departed completely as I crossed back over to Slattadale.

Trotternish through the rain

Evening light over Skye

Last light at Sand

Approaching Gairloch

Sunset from Gairloch

Gairloch beach

Gairloch

All that remained was 10 miles or so of quiet road in the dark - even this was beautifully atmospheric, although a couple of deer bolting across the road alarmed me more than they do when I'm driving :shock: . Then back to the car shortly after 6pm for the short drive home.

An excellent meet - cheers to Hugh for organising it :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Torridon meet day 2: Cycle to Rua Reidh

Postby KeithS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 pm

That is a really beautiful peninsula, often with great views.

For everyone's information (probably not relevant on a bike) the road from Melvaig up to the lighthouse, contrary to what the current owners may try to claim, does not belong to the lighthouse and access is permitted the entire way other than the area immediately next to the lighthouse, which is heavily fenced off. People driving up the road have frequently been challenged, sometimes quite forcibly, by the owners, trying to stop them using it. There is permissive access and the owners are not allowed to try to stop people and any problems should be reported to the Police.

Lets all enjoy this road. It is narrow and a little challenging in places but well worth the effort.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland