walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Tanar

Glen Tanar

Postby KatTai » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Date walked: 15/11/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I wanted to go somewhere, not too far but where I could get a good walk with the dogs and Glen Tanar seemed a great choice! I had planned to do this route last year but had to change last-minute because of forestry work closing off the route but no such issues today though there was some forestry work going on, Moss decided to help out a bit...

2.jpg

We parked up, the parking charge is now £3 I'm not sure when that changed as last time I was there the machines weren't working but there is an option of getting an annual pass for £25 which I may well opt for. Over the bridge and initially following the Old Pines route past the chapel and into the forest. Where this route goes down to the viewpoint we continued straight on following the Firmouth road. Couldn't see much, the sun was right in front of us!

1.jpg

It is an easy track to follow. Another track splits from the main route by a carved stone, this is the way we ended up going last time. That was a lovely walk too but we didn't switch plans instead remaining on the main track.

7.jpg

9.jpg

At a zig-gag there was some excitement because there was a pool! We stopped for Moss to have a swim, Coinneach accidentally dunking himself in a deeper part and scrambling to get out pretty quick!

12.jpg

13.jpg

The track led on through the forest and a small building appeared ahead. Inside it was like a little witches house with brooms hanging on the wall!

15.jpg
The witches house

A bit further along I was surprised to find some sheep in the forest. Not something I've ever seen in the forest itself but they seemed happy enough.

16.jpg

The track rejoined the Old Pines marked trail. There are two options here, straight on is the quickest way or add a bit more to the walk by going over the bridge. We went over the bridge, and over the next bridge following the trail through the forest.

17.jpg

As we were getting close to the pond we disturbed a deer that stood watching us as we went past before disappearing. A bit less unusual to see than the sheep!

18.jpg

Reaching the edge of the forest we followed a grassy track to the river Moss stopping for another swim before we headed back across the bridge to the car park.

20.jpg

The walk wasn't as long as what I thought it was going to be but it is a longer alternative to the marked trails and certainly a pleasant walk. We saw hardly anyone, just one other walker and a few cyclists. I'm very tempted to go up with my own bike once I get a bike rack for my car!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Glen Tanar

Postby dav2930 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Some lovely shots of a beautiful glen. Moss looked like he had a whale of a time! I very much enjoyed this approach (on my bike) to Mount Keen some years back. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland