walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blooming marvellous with fungus, heather & metal sculptures

Blooming marvellous with fungus, heather & metal sculptures

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 6: Boat of Garten to Aviemore

Date walked: 27/08/2018

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked in the large car park in Aviemore. It was the final day of Thunder in the Glens and the area was heaving with elderly bikers dismantling their tents. We headed for the bus stop and took the bus to Boat of Garten, getting off one stop too early, near a bed of pink geraniums.

Boat of Garten blooms
IMG_6635-large.JPG

We walked along the main street as far as the post office, noticed the coffee shop and went in for a coffee. Not like us to START OFF off in a coffee shop - but hey ho it's always good to support the local economy.

Coffee shop was almost empty
IMG_6638-large.JPG

Caffeine levels duly replenished, we crossed the road and took the minor road opposite, leading past some large stone houses on the way to the woods. There was obviously wealth here in the past for these houses to be built, but not sure what generated it.

One of the humbler dwellings
IMG_6639-largec.JPG

We entered the woods and overtook a group of adults and children on holiday from Manchester and out for a wander. Then the train that runs in the summer between Aviemore and Broomhill passed. There's something nostalic about steam trains.

Steam train
IMG_6640-large.JPG

I took a photo of the lone cottage with cyclists in front and then discovered when they drew level that I knew them. They were also up visiting from Manchester and love holidaying with their kids in this area.

Cottage in the woods
IMG_6641-large.JPG

Track dips under the railway
IMG_6642-large.JPG

Red toadstools with white spots make me think of my great grandfather who on walks when we were kids hid coins under them and told us to go and see what the fairies might have left. Happy memories. I didn't know then they are reckoned to be poisonous and to have hallucinogenic properties - neither of which theories Moira and I were willing to put to the test.

Fly agaric
IMG_6645c-large.JPG

Birch woods
IMG_6646-largec.JPG

IMG_6649-largec.JPG

Once through the woods we were out into open moorland with blooming heather and views towards the hills on either side of the Lairig Ghru.

IMG_6652-largec.JPG

Lots of Scots Pine regeneration - not so many views when they've grown!
IMG_6655-largec.JPG

IMG_6657-largec.JPG

IMG_6658-largec.JPG

IMG_6659-largec.JPG

M on a 20 minute call which at this point had ground her to a halt
IMG_6660-largec.JPG

IMG_6661-largec.JPG

Popular cycle track
IMG_6665-largec.JPG

IMG_6668-largec.JPG

Imposing Scots pines
IMG_6669-largec.JPG

Golf course
IMG_6671-largec.JPG

Metal sculptures
IMG_6673-largec.JPG

Aviemore blooms
IMG_6674-large.JPG

IMG_6675-largec.JPG

Our route led us to the Mountain Cafe.

Should we or shouldn't we?
IMG_6676-largec.JPG

Silly question
IMG_6677-largec.JPG

We fancied banana milk shakes. Very good they were too and a fitting end to an attractive short section (and our first) of the Speyside Way. We'll be back for more.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland