walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Giving the cold the V...with a summit camp!

Giving the cold the V...with a summit camp!

Postby Jaxter » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Tairbeirt

Date walked: 17/11/2018

Time taken: 7.55 hours

Distance: 22.96 km

Ascent: 1676m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a week of being ill I was crawling up the walls – I was going up a hill, ill or not. Malcy’s plans had cancelled on him and he was happy to drive down to meet me after a morning’s work on Saturday. I’d suggested a summit camp as the weather was looking awesome and Malcy as usual couldn’t think of an excuse why not :lol:

16.18km
1179m ascent
5 hours 30 minutes

We met at Inveruglas and headed off in the glorious sunshine just after 1 8) I had been up Ben Vorlich a couple of weeks ago and had managed to mess up the beginning…fortunately I had learned from this mistake and we successfully headed up the right track and didn’t have to climb any fences and railway lines :roll:

Looking back to Loch Lomond – the fluff on the tops was forecast to clear during the afternoon 8)

Ben Lomond poking out the clouds – we were hopeful for our summit

Initially an easy walk up the track we made good progress. As it was a stunning day we were meeting quite a few others, mostly on their way down.

It took us around 35 minutes to reach the bottom of the path, and suddenly we were heading steeply uphill. Attempting to be sensible I suggested a slower than usual pace as I was still a bit under the weather…unfortunately we kept forgetting and speeding up :roll:

Looking back down to the dam

As we gained height we started to get caught by the wind – the forecast had suggested it would be strong but we weren’t expecting it here! We were into the clag before we hit the ridge and once up there it was pretty miserable. Everyone we met coming down said it was awful up top.... :crazy:

Occasionally we could sense the blue sky above…

And at times the sun really was trying….

I was still trusting in the forecast….it was to clear! Although when we reached the summit at 3.40, half an hour before sunset we weren’t hugely hopeful. We had a pause to add layers...realised we probably should have done that before the wind was trying to blow everything to China :roll: We wandered out to the 931 munro top because Malcy wanted to bag it :wink:

As we were heading back…this happened….

We got a shift on to try to get to higher ground in time for sunset – it was absolutely freezing and we both managed to freeze our fingers attempting to get photos of this :lol:

It was blowing in and out but we were so chuffed that we’d managed to see something even if the photos weren’t very good :lol:

The next step was to find somewhere to camp…and to be honest we were both pretty sure we were going to have to drop down towards Loch Sloy as all the sheltered spots were on the wrong side of the hill (although neither of us wanted to be the first to suggest it :lol: ) ….however….Malcy spotted something just below the summit, and credit where it’s due – it was a perfect spot! However, we only had space for one tent, so pitched Malcy’s 2-man and put all our stuff in a convenient wee cave where we were able to cook and sit relatively comfortably whilst enjoying the afterglow of the sunset. The cloud was still blowing in and out but as the evening progressed it became more and more settled 8)

We cooked up some food (and as I was feeling pretty ropey Malcy blew up my mat for me – what a gent :wink: ) before realising that we were really really cold (and it was dark :shock: )

Although we were pretty sheltered in our cave it was still a cold wind and still a bit damp to sit out in sleeping bags so retreated to the tent. It took me a long time to warm up and was wondering if this had been a sensible idea…. :roll: :crazy: It should have been a hugely boring evening but fortunately we both had some chat :lol:

Getting out the tent later on it was still cold but the sky had cleared, there were thousands of stars in the sky and it was stunning. We had a wee wander up to the summit before playing around with the night mode on the camera.

Head torch head

Eventually we were too cold to stay out any longer and got back into the tent. Although not the best quality sleep we managed to get a decent amount and when we woke up in the morning we felt so cosy that getting up wasn’t hugely attractive. But we had business with a sunrise…. Heading the few metres back to the summit we were greeted by a brutal wind but a beautiful sight…. 8)

In the wind it was really cold so the key was to keep moving – it was a bit too windy for one leg :lol:

Just about managed it on the ground :lol:

We got the best views from just beyond the trig point – looking down Loch Lomond and Loch Arklet to Ben Lomond 8)

Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Loch Arklet

The sun starting to come up 8)

Hiding from the wind

Here comes the sun 8)

It was cold so we wandered back over towards the trig….

…then back to the summit….

….and had another wander out to the 931 top just because :lol:

Ben Lui, Oss and Dubhchraig

Cruachan in the distance

Arrochar alps

Beinn Narnain and Arran in the distance

Ben Vorlich and Ben Lomond

Mull in the distance

Beinn Bhuidhe and Ben Cruachan

Binnein an Fhidhleir

Arrochar Alps

North looked awesome 8)

Starting to warm up despite the wind 8)

We headed back towards the tent….looking down from the summit

And Malcy looking up towards me :lol:

Once we’d got the tent down it was time to get going – it was getting on 9.30 afterall :lol:

As we headed down it was still brutally windy and we were glad of all our extra layers :lol:

It was nice being able to see where we were going today :lol:

Little Hills with Ben More and Stob Binnein behind

Poser :roll:

It wasn’t long before we started meeting people

Looking down to the dam

Loch Lomond

As we dropped height we were out of the worst of the wind and had to lose some layers; Malcy was still wearing 3 pairs of trousers which has to be unheard of :lol:

Sloy dam

As we were approaching the dam we were recognised by someone coming up – she turned out to be Hillbeback! Always nice to meet fellow WalkHighlanders on the hills 8)

Back at the track we had to lose more layers…it was roasting down in the glen!

Ben Vane

From here it was an easy walk out – I was feeling a lot better but we were both looking forward to a cup of tea in the café 8)

Ben Lomond

We were recognised again by Chris Mac – looks like it was the place to be today! A short distance further we were at the road and soon after back at the café and sitting down to a cup of tea and a roll and sausage. Nom nom nom 8)

Loch Lomond from Inveruglas

A’ Chrois

Vorlich summit camp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.33km
410m ascent
1 hour 50 minutes

It was a beautiful day and it seemed a shame to head back already…so something small seemed a good idea – we decided to head up Cruach Tairbeirt; a revisit for me but a new Marilyn for Malcy (loser :lol: )

We decided to avoid antagonising the angry woman and parked at the Slanj – this added an extra couple of hundred metres of distance and 6 metres of ascent :shock:

There were a few notices saying the path was closed due to fallen trees…we chose to ignore these as we’re pretty used to bashing through stuff on the hills :lol:

Looking towards Arrochar

Ben Lomond

I had made the mistake of heading too far right last time, so we made sure not to this time….which meant we ended up climbing over a lot of trees. I struggled to get my leg over :lol:

Soon enough we were out of the trees and the views were stunning. Malcy tried to look epic….and ended up with weird arms :lol:

The Cobbler

I got a bit stuck….

But it was generally an easy climb to the summit where the views were awesome 8)

Malcy attempting not to put in a call to Arrochar MRT… :lol:

We had a nice wee wander around the summit – the wind had even dropped a lot now which made it a lot more pleasant to stand around :lol:

The Cobbler

Eventually we headed down – via my Loch Long viewpoint; this involved some bashing through heather which delighted Malcy :roll:

Loch Lomond

Cruach Tairbeirt.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.43km
87m ascent
35 minutes

Back at the cars it was time to part company – Malcy was heading for a sunset on his way back north and I was heading home to be sensible….well….via a wee detour :lol:

I left the car just up the wee track from Gartocharn and headed up the good track towards Duncryne. It was pretty muddy and I maybe ought to have put my boots on instead of my trail shoes :lol:

Sunset was imminent as I headed up

The Campsies

Yup….it may only be a tiny wee hill but it’s got a fabulous view down Loch Lomond!

Ben Lomond

Sun setting

I headed down and paused to enjoy the sunset before I lost too much height

Then it was a slip and slide back through the mud to the car and an easy drive home – yet another fabulous weekend 8) Nae regrets!

Duncryne.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Giving the cold the V...with a summit camp!

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 am

Outstanding photo's Jaxter, especially the night shots and sunrise! :clap: That was a nice surprise to bump into you and Malcy today, glad to see you made a good choice of your hill for the way home, the conditions were superb. Ben Vane was quite busy but great fun, feeling it now after Bidean yesterday though, took tomorrow off work! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Some great pics there, Jaxter. And what an amazing camp spot. I've only ever visited the top of this one in dense clag, so I had no idea what it really looks like.

Even if Malky hadn't been wearing 3 pairs of trousers (surely unheard of????), one gets a good idea of the chill from the sound effects on the vid. But reassuring to see him back in shorts the following day :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Cairn and trig sun pic ...sgionneil :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Hillbeback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:52 am

Glad I wasn't the only walker who found this one steep. Everyone l spoke to felt the same. I did eventually make the summit where it was still very windy and chilly. Certainly blew the cobwebs away :crazy: I found a bit to shelter just off the summit where l could have a hot drink and some food. My legs were a bit wobbly after the descent as l walked back down the tarmac road :lol: Good to see you went on to do a few more walks :)
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 am

Some stonking photos in there. :clap:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 pm

You're as bad as each other, all this camping on summits malarkey. Actually, maybe not, you're still worse as "taking it easy due to having a cold" meant limiting a day and a half to just the 3 walks, 3 summits and included a wild camp on a pointy thing.

Great place to camp, a bit snug, but with a cave for a wardrobe, who cares?

Keep 'em coming!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Outstanding photo's Jaxter, especially the night shots and sunrise! :clap: That was a nice surprise to bump into you and Malcy today, glad to see you made a good choice of your hill for the way home, the conditions were superb. Ben Vane was quite busy but great fun, feeling it now after Bidean yesterday though, took tomorrow off work! :lol:

Thanks - yes it was a cracking day wasn't it!! Always nice to meet walkhighlanders on the hill 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Some great pics there, Jaxter. And what an amazing camp spot. I've only ever visited the top of this one in dense clag, so I had no idea what it really looks like.

Even if Malky hadn't been wearing 3 pairs of trousers (surely unheard of????), one gets a good idea of the chill from the sound effects on the vid. But reassuring to see him back in shorts the following day :D .

Thanks - yeah it was quite a find 8) The first time I was there was horrible but I've had 2 great repeats recently and it's definitely worth the return visit :D You'd almost think it was Malcy the one who was ill with all those layers on :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Cairn and trig sun pic ...sgionneil :clap:

Thankyou - I was chuffed with how that one came out 8) 8)

Hillbeback wrote:Glad I wasn't the only walker who found this one steep. Everyone l spoke to felt the same. I did eventually make the summit where it was still very windy and chilly. Certainly blew the cobwebs away :crazy: I found a bit to shelter just off the summit where l could have a hot drink and some food. My legs were a bit wobbly after the descent as l walked back down the tarmac road :lol: Good to see you went on to do a few more walks :)

Good for you - glad you made it to the top! The views were just amazing weren't they 8) Good luck with your next hill :wink:

kevsbald wrote:Some stonking photos in there. :clap:

Thankyou 8) 8) 8)

Mal Grey wrote:You're as bad as each other, all this camping on summits malarkey. Actually, maybe not, you're still worse as "taking it easy due to having a cold" meant limiting a day and a half to just the 3 walks, 3 summits and included a wild camp on a pointy thing.

Great place to camp, a bit snug, but with a cave for a wardrobe, who cares?

Keep 'em coming!

Trying to "out-stupid" each other could go on a long time couldn't it :lol: :lol: Definitely worth the relative discomfort (for me anyway...I didn't have an annoying sneezing idiot rolling into me all night :lol: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mick of the Eddie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 am

Nice one Jaxter, was gonna do Vorlich soon having done Ben Vane, Ime and Narnain this month. But in fairness all we really saw at the tops were the cairns or trigs. I think we will now wait for some clearer weather to enjoy the wonderful views that you and Malcy did :D
Mick of the Eddie
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am

Mick of the Eddie wrote:Nice one Jaxter, was gonna do Vorlich soon having done Ben Vane, Ime and Narnain this month. But in fairness all we really saw at the tops were the cairns or trigs. I think we will now wait for some clearer weather to enjoy the wonderful views that you and Malcy did :D

It's a fab viewpoint on a good day. Admittedly my first visit was in very poor weather but reckon my last couple have made up for it :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland