walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Caillich

Beinn na Caillich

Postby U059361 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich

Date walked: 18/11/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16.3 km

Ascent: 1340m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ImageKinlochleven by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn na Caillich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There are hydro works along the west highland way and there are sign posts up to guide you over to Beinn na Caillich so it is easy to spot the path leaving the west highland way over to the hill as there are two signs either side of the path telling you about the works and the hill path access. It is back to rough walking after the WHW is left. Boggy at top and bottom and then into the hydro works. There is a brand new bridge over the river and a huge plastic pipe has to be walked around to get onto the hill. The path is pretty stony all the way to the ridge and it zig zags much more than indicated on the map.I was glad to get to the first broad ridge and some easier walking.
ImageMamores from Beinn na Caillich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageFinal climb from first ridge, Beinn na Caillich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The path gets mixed up with a few burns and there are handy little cairs with chuckie stones on top to keep you on the right route. At the foot of the final climb up it is back to stones and zig zags up to the top. By now really windy and even in the sun, the wind chill was fantastic. A hat and hood to keep it off my head.
ImageLoch Leven from Mam na Gualainn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Views along Loch Leven and out to sea are fantastic up here, thank goodness as this was the main reason for me being here. Long shadows into the glen and the WHW, so I would return by the same route. Walked right along to Mam Na Gualainn, nice wee ridge from Caillich then it broadens out a bit.
ImageBeinn na Caillich from Mam na Gualainn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Walking with the wind mostly behind me. One boggy bit to traverse, guess this is better frozen, but not today. Glad to get to the far top just the same. Photos were worth it. Then back into the wind and back along the ridge.Really glad to drop down from the top. Tough going over all the boulders coming down. The haul back up to the WHW was tough, but the sun sort of made up for it. Plenty of tourists at the drop back down to the village, taking in the sunshine. Cold walking in the shade. Kinlochleven didn't get any sun all day. Brrrr.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Bird-watcher

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Re: Beinn na Caillich

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:57 pm

I planned going up there yesterday- something came up and I never
I think that Corbett is Mam na Gualainn.
The Beinn na Caillich mentioned as a Corbett on here is the one on knoydart ( happy to be shot down here)
Just in case you were keeping your own records of this.
Cheers for the report
Next week hopefully
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:117
Grahams:56   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland