walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hee

Ben Hee

Postby litljortindan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Route description: Ben Hee, from West Merkland

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Hee

Date walked: 18/11/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had intended to go elsewhere but some early morning cloud pushed me further north than planned. Ben Hee was one of my back-up options and as it was clearly cloud free I set off there.

Some nice early morning light and easy walking to start with, apart from a bit of a diversion away from the more eroded parts of the path. Eventually I was on the straight-forward plod up onto the broad ridge to the south west of the summit.

I opted to ascend via the slope south east of the summit, to get the best views east and a look into the corrie. The boulder field there was a bit wobbly in places but I suppose if Ben Hee could speak it might have said pot and kettle.

Spent a few minutes admiring the views then set off west to take in the view over Bealach nam Meirleach before descending towards the start of the path in over a mix of heather, grass and the odd boggy area.

Slides:

ImagewhDSC02699 by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02725c by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02754 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Klibreck.

ImagewhDSC02776 by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02796 by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02798c by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02810 by John Little, on Flickr
Interesting view of Ben Hope.

ImagewhDSC02820c by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02825 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben More Assynt on right.

ImagewhDSC02826 by John Little, on Flickr
Quinag.

ImagewhDSC02846c by John Little, on Flickr

ImagewhDSC02879 by John Little, on Flickr
Bealach nam Meirleach.
Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben Hee

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 am

Good pictures, you might the right choice that day!

I've been staring at that part of the map a lot lately, so it's nice to be reminded just how high those hills look from the ground. :-D
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Re: Ben Hee

Postby litljortindan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:03 am

Pastychomper wrote:Good pictures, you might the right choice that day!

I've been staring at that part of the map a lot lately, so it's nice to be reminded just how high those hills look from the ground. :-D

Cheers. If I had stuck rigidly to my first plan I would have been wandering about in cloud on Beinn Leoid or neighbour. Much better to rethink things. Slight regret in not visiting the north east top but I can always do that another time.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland