walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craigowl Hill

Craigowl Hill

Postby McMole » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craigowl Hill

Date walked: 13/11/2018

Time taken: 1.9 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 408m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another fine day where I had time to squeeze in a visit to another nearby Marilyn. This was to the north instead of the south, so no delays circumnavigating Edinburgh this time. I did meet some congestion round Dundee, but only a for a few minutes.
Craigowl Hill route s.gif
I arrived at what I expected to be a deserted Balkello Woodland car park not long after 9am to find there were about ten vehicles in it. Obviously a popular place for folk to walk their dogs since most of the walkers I met that day were accompanied by one or more. I followed the WH route through the woodland and up Auchterhouse Hill.
P1020999.JPG
Auchterhouse Hill summit
P1030001.JPG
Craigowl HIll from Auchterhouse
Then it was onwards to Balkello HIll or is it Balluderon Hill?
P1030002.JPG
Climbing Balkello HIll
P1030007 s.JPG
The memorial cairn to Sydney Scroggie
P1030005 s.JPG
The indicator on Sydney Scroggie's cairn
It is called that on the memorial cairn and indicator to Sydney Scroggie, an ex-pupil of my old school who had been a keen climber before he was blinded and lost part of a leg in the Second World War. Afterwards he continued to enjoy walking and climbing in the hills. From there a sometimes muddy path led to the fenced compounds and antennae at the top of Craigowl HIll where it is necessary to climb over a fence to reach the trig point inside the compound.
P1030011 s.JPG
Craigowl Hill trig point
P1030012 s.JPG
Low cloud hiding Auchterhouse Hill
A radio amateur had just finished contacting others from the summit, was dismantling his equipment and about to head down to drive to his next objective - Kings Seat.
P1030014 s.JPG
A radio ham dismantling his transmitter antenna
I mentioned that some of the paths were muddy. I found the worst mud of the year on my descent.. I followed a downward traverse to hit the end of the farm track shown on the 1:25000 map. Not far along an old quarry on the left looked deep in mud and trying to walk along the downhill edge of track led to mud (with a good proportion of cow excrement from the smell) covering boots and the bottom few inches of my trousers. I walked on a bit then turned downhill towards the other track shown on the map. En route I found a stream to cross where I managed to wash off most of the brown sludge. There was a barbed wire fence between me and the next track so I turned left and followed it to where there was a gate as it turned south. Through the gate and onto the track led easily back to the car following the paths shown on the map. By now there were over a dozen vehicles and even more dogs.

The weather was fine with sunshine for quite a bit of the time, but with low cloud down below Craigowl's summit while I was there. Obviously a very popular area for walking and Dundee's equivalent of Edinburgh's Pentland Hills.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland