walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One Pap and a flock of tits :)

One Pap and a flock of tits :)

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 17/11/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 742m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With superb weather last weekend, we decided to do two days of hillwalking. On Saturday, I insisted on driving down to Glen Coe to climb a new Graham, possibly the last new one this year. Our Graham map consists of two parts: in the north, it's all blue with an occasional single red balloon, in the south - the opposite pattern. The only shorter walk left in Glencoe area was The Pap so that's what we headed for :D :D For the following day, we were planning the traverse of one of Achnashellach Munros.
Sgurr na Ciche on its own is a half-days route to be honest, but Kevin said he wanted to save strength for our Sunday Torridon Adventure, so a quickie down south was a welcome option :D
Our route followed the standard up-and-down on the eroded path from Glencoe village:

Track_PAP OF GLENCOE 17-11-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We took 2 hours to drive down from Inverness, so it was half past nine when we arrived in Glencoe. The car park in the forest was nearly empty, though. We spent a few minutes photographing birds picking nuts and seeds from the provided feeders. A whole flock of tits, both fully grown adults and juveniles (this summer offspring I guess), but also a few robins and chaffinches.
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 001.JPG

2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 121.JPG

2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 122.JPG

2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 123.JPG

2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 117.JPG

As watching tits playing on the nearby tree is a good entrance for mountain p*rn, we didn't waste time and headed for what is said one of the best viewpoints in this area. I was in happy-go-lucky mood, jumping on the path and exhibiting all symptoms of advanced mountain madness:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 017.JPG

After a short march on the path along the road, we turned left, uphill towards the Pap. The route is well worn and in places very eroded, which is no surprise considering the number of walkers trudging up and down that path every year!
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 019.JPG

The sun was rising in the east, from behind the sharp shapes of Glen Coe peaks, simply stunning. I stopped and enjoyed the spectacle for a minute or two...
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 022.JPG

...before locating the bridge over the first stream, where the path turns right.This stage is quite muddy, and that thanks to our friends the cattle (seen here behind me, grazing just off the path):
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 029.JPG

We continued on the path, which soon crossed a second stream (no bridge this time) and soon started to ascend steeply up the sunny slopes. Weather was really exceptional for this time of year. Kevin was lagging behind, taking countless photos and adjusting his boots, before eventually finding the right combination of socks/inner soles. I didn't rush him, we had time in abundance, and the scenery was breathtaking.
Garb Bheinn across the water, something to do in the future:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 039.JPG

Eroded, but not really a scramble:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 043.JPG

Just over the height of 500m the gradient eases off and walking becomes less tiring, with views getting even better. I couldn't resist a pose with the summit of Sgurr na Ciche in sight:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 048.JPG

The top of another Garbh Bheinn, also a Corbett, still in cloud. We did this hill last year in November, and it was already covered with a few inches of snow. Today - not a flake:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 050.JPG

Meall Mhor and Sgorr Dhearg to the south - with a great game of light and shadows:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 054.JPG

The final 100m of ascent is again steep and very rocky. The path is eroded and tumbly, so of course Kevin had to lead me astray and for some distance, we left the worn out path to traverse above it on the rocks - easy scrambling in places, but mostly boulder-hopping.
Panther enjoying the easy scramble:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 064.JPG

At some point, we met the path again, now it was a matter of keeping the balance on the scree :lol:
How far to the summit?
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 061.JPG

The eroded path continued...
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 069.JPG

...as did the game of sun and shadows above Glen Coe mountains:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 071.JPG

Finally, we emerged on the flatt-ish summit of Sgurr na Ciche. Graham no. 107! Not far from the half way point now. Lucy celebrated her 75th Graham:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 092.JPG

As far as Grahams go, this is one of the best ones when it comes to views. We spent a lot of time photographing and filming, despite cold breeze. Other people started to arrive, but we managed a good set of photos before the summit got too crowded.
Panoramic views to begin with...
South-west along Loch Leven:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 100.JPG

The Mamores and Ben Nevis:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 101.JPG

View north-east towards Kinlochleven:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 102.JPG

Zoom to Garbh Bheinn (the Ardgour one):
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 105.JPG

Beinn a'Bheithir across the loch:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 077.JPG

The peaks of Glen Coe once again:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 082.JPG

Zoom to Ben Nevis:
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 086.JPG

We descended the same way, this time sticking to the path (it makes little difference really). We met dozens of walkers on their way up. Some were giving us odd looks, as we were still wearing hats and gloves (the wind was very nippy on the summit) and they walked up in thin tops :lol: Indeed, the difference in temperature between the summit and the lower slopes was remarkable.
We returned to the car with big smiles. A new Graham, a good shorter day and superb views. All thanks to one little Pap.
What a lovely day it was :D
2018-11-17 pap of glencoe 113.JPG

On Sunday we woke up early and drove to Achnashellach, to visit one of my favourite ridgewalks in Torridon. TR to come soon, loads of mountain p*rnography included :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: One Pap and a flock of tits :)

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 am

Quality photos and an enjoyable read BP, Saturday was a great day to be in Glen Coe as Iain and I were on Stob Coire Sgreamhach & Bidean nam Bian while you were across the glen from us. I didn't take my zoom lens to save weight for the big hike otherwise I might have zoomed in and got some shots of all three of you on the Pap! :lol:

Looking forward to visiting that hill, the views look brilliant from it. I went out the following day too up Ben Vane, great fun, but it was my "easier" walk after BnB. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Quality photos and an enjoyable read BP, Saturday was a great day to be in Glen Coe as Iain and I were on Stob Coire Sgreamhach & Bidean nam Bian while you were across the glen from us. I didn't take my zoom lens to save weight for the big hike otherwise I might have zoomed in and got some shots of all three of you on the Pap! :lol:

Looking forward to visiting that hill, the views look brilliant from it. I went out the following day too up Ben Vane, great fun, but it was my "easier" walk after BnB. :D

Thanks :D It was a brilliant weekend, superb weather, no wonder everybody was out and about!

The Pap is a gem despite modest height. Shame the walk was far too short, but we were saving strength for a longer walk in Torridon the next day :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:37 pm

You were probably on the summit as I drove past :) . Great views from here - I was going to go up for sunset on Sunday afternoon, but it was a bit too late by the time I passed.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland