walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fantastic day near Loch Laggan

Fantastic day near Loch Laggan

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 17/11/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1280m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A favourable forecast over the weekend was too good to miss and with one of the trio unavaiable we were down to a duo. George flew west to Canada just before the weekend so I looked at Parminders red balloons and thought it would be a good idea to tackle the Creag Pitridh 3 - using bikes. I suggested this to Parminder and as much as he has been loving painting and decorating he jumped at the chance and 'volunteered' to drive, which was handy as he has a fancy bike rack that he attaches on his boot. I calculated that using bikes would save well over an hour time wise, as the track that takes you to Lochan na h-Earba is about 3 miles which is just about one hours walking.
The plan was for Parminder to uplift me at 7am, we would breakfast at Broxden (as usual) and we were off on our bikes just before 9.30. My main concern was the amount of daylight hours but I kind of guessed we would be back at the car in plenty of time, especially as we were saving time by using bikes.
The cycle in was a bit tougher than expected mainly because we were cycling into a strong breeze, once over the bridge at the end of the lochan the path starts to climb a bit too much for us non cyclists, so we dumped the bikes and the walking began.

Good track with our first hill Beinn a'Chaorainn in the far distance

Plenty of stuff for tracks/roads

One of the slight inclines, tough enough for us non cyclists but with the wind in your face - time to dismount

Bridge at the end of the loch, water level much higher than I expected

Looking down the lochan

Bikes parked/dumped in a slight hollow

Lochan again basking in the sun

Another shot, different angle

Not exactly a tricky crossing

Low level shot to the west

No path, headed up the shoulder towards the ridge

Looking back

Looking NW, not a cloud in the sky

Looking across to the summit, not much ascending left now

A couple of well fed locals, waiting for the white stuff to arrive

Summit again with a few walkers heading our way

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4816/45203634304_3ca6739ad4_k.jpg[/img
NW from on high

Beinn a'Chaorrainn looking impressive

Video taken on the summit of Beinn a'Chlachair

One of my latest crazes is taking a panoramic video on or near each summit using my phone. One of the benefits of a video is that sound is also available, having said that the only sound is usually the wind and as we know that is a fairly constant and only varies in strength.. Obviously I won't be taking videos if the view is only of 50 shades of grey.
Parminder did comment on how 'bouldery' these hills are and he thought they were the worst to date!
From the summit of Beinn a'Chlachair we headed east along the broad ridge towards the very distant summit of Geal Charn, the path kind of disappears and appears. It wasn't too long before we started the steep descent, we were fortunate in that we knew exactly we were heading as we could see the uphill path on the other side of the bealach.

Just before we started the descent I had to be quick with my phone and try and catch a Brocken Spectre, there was only a tiny cloud passing through so I only managed 2 photos

2nd photo

Nice lochan

Shadow on the lower slopes of Geal Charn

Parminder taking in the views

Looking east during the descent

Summit of Geal Charn in the distance

Northish

Geal Charn summit trig, was a very busy summit about 10 other folk up there

Video taken on the summit of Geal Charn, panarama was limited so as not to catch the other walkers

Bit of a bogfest over that way, so we avoided it

Parminder looking like he is on top of the world

Looking west

Long shadows and plenty of lochs

Northish

North westish

West north west

The final video on the summit of Creag Pitridh, was a tad blowy

The descent off Creag Pitridh was just a matter of heading down the grassy slopes, trying avoid the boggy areas, we could see the track in the distance. Great care was taken, as amongst the long grass were rocks and holes.

Sun starting to set, time to get a wiggle on

Low level shot after uplifting our bikes

Final photo and an arty one

This turned out to be a fantastic day and the weather turned out to be nothing like the forecast of fog and low cloud. Huge thanks to Parminder for driving and assembling his bike carrying contraption on his boot.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Fantastic day near Loch Laggan

Postby 1Magnus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:13 am

Great report, and lovely area. Well done for finding the bikes again in low light. I once had trouble finding mine again in that spot - I had to climb up the hill 20m and look for the bike through the binoculars till I spotted it!
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Re: Fantastic day near Loch Laggan

Postby parminder » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Another glorious day out on the hills and another great script of the day out :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:112   Hewitts:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland