walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the footsteps of Calum - exploring Raasay

In the footsteps of Calum - exploring Raasay

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Route description: Dun Caan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn na h-Iolaire, Dun Caan (Raasay)

Date walked: 15/07/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.59 km

Ascent: 1087m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Costa Del Glencoe

Arriving on Skye, it was a bit of a change to Costa del Glencoe… :roll: While I had been sunning myself on the mainland everyone else had been getting a drenching and/or hiding inside from the elements :lol:

Sunday 15th July – adventures on Raasay and Fladday
16.59km
716m ascent
4 hours 30 minutes

We spent the morning drinking hot chocolate at Portnalong before going our separate ways – Malcy and I headed for Sconser where we waited for the ferry to Raasay. The weather was already improving :thumbup:

The short ferry ride was used for checking weather and making plans – when we arrived on Raasay we stopped by the new distillery before heading down the road. We had both read Calum’s Road and although Malcy had been to Raasay before I was very excited to be here for the first time 8)

Reaching Brochel Castle there was a plaque commemorating Calum’s road

Brochel Castle

Calum’s Road

Raasay is weird :lol:

We reached the end of the road at Arnish

We set off with heavy packs and instantly regretted big loads as it was a steep uphill through the trees :shock: I was also glad that I’d managed to fit my share of the logs into my rucksack :lol: Climbing above Torran we were able to see back to Loch Arnish

Reaching the high point – Malcy showing off his logs :lol:

As Malcy is a hardcore Marilyn-bagger he wanted to go up Beinn na h-Iolaire, one of Raasay’s two Marilyns. We dumped our packs at the high point and we felt like we were floating as we made our way the short distance to the summit.

The views were awesome despite the wee bit of cloud still blowing around – turns out the Eagle’s Hill was aptly named 8)

We carried on along the path – at one point we’d thought this might have been the bothy but on closer inspection….we were relieved that it wasn’t :lol:

We did start to get slightly concerned that we had missed it, and we had finally lost our 4G signal :shock: Climbing up a wee hillock it turned out we were in exactly the right place 8)

Wahey – bothy ahoy 8)

The family who had left stuff in the bothy were in the process of moving things down to their beachside camp spot – beautiful I’m sure but I’m not sure how much they would have enjoyed the midges and heavy rain all night :crazy:

Malcy managed to put together a very broken grate to make us something of a fire, and I attempted to tune the guitar (the G string was snapped making it a losing battle :lol: ) We had a great evening of a lot of food, card games and then more food. Fortunately Malcy had brought his hip flask as I’d managed to forget the hot chocolate, something I’ll not be forgiven for in a hurry :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning dawned with much better visibility and no rain – huzzah 8)

After a leisurely breakfast we finally got going - looking back to Eilean Tigh and Rona

Looking back it could almost have been the Mediterranean 8)

We decided that we could take a wee diversion and pop across to Fladday - heading down towards the causeway the views were awesome 8)

Malcy and Fladday

Malcy thought he was hilarious taking photos of me incase I fell in…I disappointed him on this occasion :lol:

Fortunately the tide was on the way out (we actually thought it was coming in but a man we met on Fladday put us right :lol: He also suggested walking to the high point of the island which we did :thumbup: )

Skye from Fladday

Island bagging 8)

Looking across to the Red Cuillin

Nearly back we could see across to the Storr

Torran

Raasay.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Monday 16th July 2018 – Dun Caan
6km
371m ascent
1 hour 30 mins

Before long we were back at the car and headed back down the road – we stopped off for a wander down to Brochel Castle before heading along the road to Dun Caan 8)

Loch na Meilich

The Skye Bridge

The Storr

Teaching Malcy the ways

Amazing Skye

I struggle to climb up onto the trig….Malcy taking advantage :lol:

Success 8)

We were enjoying the views and eating chocolate nipples (Hob Nob chocolate marshmallow things :lol: ) when we realised we were cutting it pretty fine for the ferry… :crazy: We ran down to the car and Malcy put his foot down (we reached about 30mph at one point :lol: ) and we made it to the ferry with a couple of minutes to spare. Phew :roll:

Looking down the cliffs

Heading for Portree and hot chocolate I was excited to see the Storr from this angle – I only ever go to Portree when it’s raining and the visibility is down :lol:

And later on, leaving Skye the weather was definitely improving 8)

It was time for some more hot chocolate at Shiel Bridge before Malcy headed home and I got some sleep before the next day’s adventures 8)

Kintail spectacular

Dun Caan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:67   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31

Re: In the footsteps of Calum - exploring Raasay

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Heck, it's clear I shouldn't have given up on the Sunday - you had some superb weather on the Monday (though I know Malky would dress like that any time the temperature is above zero :D ).

Love that last sundown pic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:100   

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:58 am

Ah, good memories of that weekend (apart from the weather on Saturday, that is :twisted: :lol: ).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:268
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Postby Jaxter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Heck, it's clear I shouldn't have given up on the Sunday - you had some superb weather on the Monday (though I know Malky would dress like that any time the temperature is above zero :D ).

Love that last sundown pic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Yes, it was a much better day on Sunday than expected and Monday was a belter!
Skye is stunning isn't it 8)

malky_c wrote:Ah, good memories of that weekend (apart from the weather on Saturday, that is :twisted: :lol: ).

I thought you liked a good coastal walk, no? :shock: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:67   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland