walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The long walk to finish the Great Glen Way

The long walk to finish the Great Glen Way

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Route description: GGW 6 Low Route: Drumnadrochit to Inverness

Date walked: 21/11/2018

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 31.1 km

Ascent: 693m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

GGW Drum - Inverness.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well that’s it finally finished, my last section of the Great Glen Way, a bit sad. For various reasons it took me a year longer than planned but that’s life.
I will get my rant over first. This section is just one long walk, mainly on hard packed surfaces and my feet were sore. I had hoped to do this with lightweight boots as a summer walk but ended up in my mountain boots and they were not appropriate. The forecast was for snow showers which thankfully did not arrive. I was under some pressure with the very short daylight, no time for lingering ring en route. But I know my walking speed so was confident even over the long distance.
Sadly after being close to water on all the other sections this one most definitely is not. It is mainly through deforested woodland and open moorland, views limited to inland scenes.
And as for the end of the walk, see later!!
Still, lets concentrate on the walk.
drum.jpg

Drumnadrochit and impressive War Memorial
I took the bus to Drumnadrochit where on arrival it was cold and drizzling rain but anticipation helps you ignore these. Beware the first 1.5 miles from here is a pavement walk until you reach the obvious Temple Pier area with a marker post to turn left into the countryside. Interesting information board about John Cobb’s speedboat record attempt, worth an internet search.
UC.jpg

Looking back to Urquhart Castle on the peninsula
The track loops up and around houses before becoming a proper track with views back over the water and Urquhart Castle.
woods.jpg

Woodland walking
It is now a steep climb through the woods with significant height gain but at least the track is carpeted with pine needles so nice and soft going. Autumn colours still prominent. A bunch of cyclo cross cyclists appear, the only other outdoor people I will meet today, no other walkers at all. Occasional breaks in the trees give brief glimpses of Loch Ness.
bow.jpg

Stunning rainbow
As I broke out of the trees a beautiful rainbow started to form, a double showed briefly but cannot get fully formed. The snap does not do the colours justice, it was beautiful.
trees.jpg

Deforestation in progress
I came across a forestry worker stacking up the fallen trees and stopped for a brief chat.
At the signpost for Abriachan Forest Walks, despite my time pressures, I chose the diversion route as much to get off the hard track. The track was obvious and soon led to a seat and viewpoint.
eco.jpg

Start of Iron Age settlement
After that headed down to the iron age settlement which could be spotted through the trees. There are a few wooded constructions as well as some eco buildings. A very large chestnut brown bird burst from the undergrowth and flew quickly and silently into undergrowth, not sure what that was? There are toilets at the settlement if required.
s pine.jpg

Love these trees
Back on the main track which is now a straight line ahead lined with Silver birches stunning outlined against blue skies.
cafe.jpg

Eco cafe open all year
Cross a road and follow another track where you pass the eco café at Tomachoin, sadly no time to visit but it certainly looks interesting.
Now the second worst section for me was walking this tarmac road for 4 km (according to Walkhighlands) but it seemed a lot longer today, feet beginning to protest. Away from the relative shelter of the trees the temperature dropped considerably on this open moor, extra gear added for warmth. Red kites and buzzards circled the moor was I to be there scavenging prey?
track moor.jpg

Finally off the tarmac
Boy was I glad to reach the newly constructed path which continues over the open moorland, the scenic views helped the time go by.
The next section is a mixed forest, some of which is the old drovers trail route heading to the market at Falkirk.
The trees became pine woods again where I had an interesting experience. Just ahead I spotted some things floating down, strange no trees shedding leaves. Standing at the spot they continued to softly float down. It turned out they were feathers, grey and white, probably a pigeon being eaten by a raptor above me but I could not spot it.
There were good views of the Cromarty Firth on my left and when I reached the reservoir I finally got sight of Inverness ahead.
inver.jpg

Finally Inverness in sight
As I headed towards Great Glen House I passed a sign ‘Inverness castle 4 miles‘. This was now the worst section by far and it was a long 4 miles on protesting feet. The route is on and off tarmac roads, through housing estates, established and new building sites. Underpasses etc before briefly reaching the Caledonian Canal, it seems a long time since I last saw it.
Cal can.jpg

Caledonian Canal I missed you
However this is a very brief interlude before more tarmac street walking to reach the River Ness. Then guess what, more tarmac walking to the end at the castle. Needless to say the rain joined me for these 4 miles and darkness arrived early. I had been under a tight time deadline but arrived as per my expectations.
IMG_8994.JPG

Ness Islands almost finished
I believe that there is no such thing as a bad walk but that last section was stretching my positiveness.
Overall I really enjoyed my Great Glen Way experience and was glad that I split it up experiencing it in all the different weather patterns Scotland gives us, all for the good.
Now time to hit the Black Isle bar for some well deserved beer. A pint of Red Kite would be an appropriate starter.

Wildlife: Red Kite, Buzzard, Wren, Bluetit, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird,
Attachments
eco.jpg
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland