walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinns a'Chreachain, Achaladair & Mhanach - lesson learned

Beinns a'Chreachain, Achaladair & Mhanach - lesson learned

by rockhopper » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 27/11/2010

Time taken: 11.6 hours

Distance: 28.4 km

Ascent: 2062m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinns a'Chreachain, Achaladair & Mhanach - lesson learned

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 pm

thanks again for all your comments :D

Alastair : still working on the photos - lot of luck as well needed especially with the weather

mc : same with me and it was fully charged, I didn't have it switched on either during the day - but am going to have a try in future; haven't worked out what I'll do if I say I'm going to phone though and it doesn't work !

scotjamie : still working on the photos - I still prefer my old 35mm SLR but digital's so much easier to use

HighlandSC : good idea - I already carry spare batteries for the torches as well

kevsbald : I couldn't live without her ! even though I'm a golf widower

potace : I constantly find it interesting finding out new thinks on this site - I've posted the only picture I took of the house below and also found this link on geograph showing the house as it was

Barravourich.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dooterbang » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Just checking photos from when up these hills last winter, i remeber the sun setting and it was a glorious sight....
heres a couple.

Still to do 3 of these hills, this report has me chomping at the bit :D

Cheers Rockhopper.
P1030156.jpg
P1030167.jpg
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Interesting report 8) . That is a big walk for this time of year with the lack of daylight. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I would never plan to have to use my headtorch and - if I thought I might have to - I would try to get to a track or road even if that involved a detour.

Re: phone battery. You can usually get it going again by removing the battery and sticking it somewhere warm for a few minutes :lol: , same with camera.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 am

dooterbang - the colours in those photos are fantastic; the quality of light can be lovely at this time of year 8)

leithy - don't disagree as I had planned to come down Coire Daingean very late in the afternoon before it got dark but had to change plans; it was certainly very cold, not sure where would be warm enough.... :lol:
rockhopper

Postby doogz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Lovely stuff there

Too big a winter walk for me though ,i done the two in similar conditions but the three...well done sir

Your wife must have got a wee fright though

cheers
doogz

Postby rockhopper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm

yup doogz, she did - we're working on a plan for the next time (thinking about Dorain and an Dothaidh or Ben Challum on its own but probably not before Christmas) - cheers :D
rockhopper

Postby old danensian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi rockhopper

Your predicament raised an interesting conversation in our household - and I'd be interested to know what others do.

Like you, I'm normally a lone walker who leaves a tolerant other half at home. She knows where I'll be parking the car, knows my planned route, destination and likely return time. I try, signals permitting, to text when I set off and when I get back down - she knows and understands that she's not going to get updates during the day. Now, I also give her a phone number for the nearest police station to where I'm planning to be - given that the police down here in Warwickshire, no matter how willing they are to help, are unlikely to be of much help in deciding what action to take if I've not called by the time it's got dark.

Is this pretty much what others do, or is there something I'm missing that could add to her reassurance?
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm

There was some discussion on arrangements with your emergency contacts:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4145

Personally I usually leave my plan/route with someone and say if you haven't heard from me by (for example) 7pm worry, 9pm panic, 11pm call the police! I also leave a few bits of paper on the front seat of the car - usually a print ouf of my route and equipment, etc - so if MRT/police find the car they'll get what they hope is in there.

Anything on top of that is 'luxury'. That can include calls, texts....and even picture messages, photo uploads to facebook, transmission of grid ref from mobile GPS. My girlfriend often keeps an eye on my locations by viewing the track on a map throughout the day (ViewRanger :D ), but again that's all luxury stuff. It's common for me not to be able to contact anyone until I'm back in the car....and sometimes long after that depending on signal.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 pm

The difficulty was that while I was fine I couldn't contact my wife to tell her not to worry and she then phoned about an hour after dark.

HighlandSC wrote:7pm worry, 9pm panic, 11pm call the police

We'd have been fine and she wouldn't have phoned if I'd gone for HighlandSC's plan but I had never been this specific before as my wife had phoned by the first stage in your example - in future we're going to allow more time !

I also leave a copy of my route and contact details in the car. I would never rely on the mobile - it's only a last resort but I know we need to have more defined rules about what to do and when.
rockhopper

Postby monty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Excellent report Rockhopper. Some smashing photos in the snow. Thats a big walk in the conditions well done. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Cheers monty. Not long by your standards but long enough for me....and my wife will also be happier 8)
rockhopper

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland