walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Hours Driving, 17 Minutes Walking!

4 Hours Driving, 17 Minutes Walking!

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hightown Hill

Date walked: 24/11/2018

Time taken: 0.3 hours

Distance: 1.2 km

Ascent: 100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was another of my planned trips down to Englandshire and my plan was to say hello to Hightown Hill on the way home. Plan went quite well apart from putting the start co-ordinates into the car satnav which for some reason (operator error) went a bit pear shaped. I had the start and route in my other phone not that I needed the route as the summit can be seen from the road. So to navigate to the start of the walk I used the maps system on my other phone and that worked a treat, taking me along quite a few windy single track roads. Parking along the single track road is almost non-existent, but I did notice tyre marks on a grassy wider bit of road, so opted to turn around - much further on and park there and would be facing the correct way for heading home.

After plotting my route as per the attachment, Naismith also says the ascent will take 17mins so for a change I beat him as I did the up and down in that time!! I knew it was going to be a short walk so didn't bother with my rucksack, but as you can see I did take my poles. I was fortunate that the fields I walked through had no livestock in them, the grass was longish and very wet. I was determined to make the summit without stopping which I did, albeit with plenty of huffing and puffing.

Parking areas are non existent

My original plan was to start by the farm and follow a track uphill, however I amended the plan, climbed over the gate and marched uphill

Looking up the road towards the farm, no parking spots

Summit shots in all directions

Video from the summit

My 7 minute descent, straight down

Bonus photo, decided to stop on the way home just north of Moffat at at the wonderfully named "Devils Beef Tub"

This is a nice little hill that offers good all round views as it is the highest hump in the area, however accessing it does involve a bit of navigating along some of Dumfries and Galloways narrow bendy lanes.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:50
Grahams:24   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 4 Hours Driving, 17 Minutes Walking!

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Checked to see how long we had taken. 50 minutes. "Fife Flyer" was certainly flying this time.There is a hill fort up there if you want to potter around, which is what I guess ate up the extra minutes.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Postby iangpark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 am

Can't say my ascent/descent of it took much longer. Was a massive cow at the top and I shocked myself on the electric fence on the way back down though. One of my favourite marilyn experiences near Dumfries - lovely hill.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:24   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:78   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:9

Postby parminder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Another borders raid by the FF...did you have time to look at the step counter.. :lol: :lol:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:253   Corbetts:10
Grahams:14   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:35   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland