walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Odhar - first winter walk

Beinn Odhar - first winter walk

Postby rootebeete » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 25/11/2010

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Up until now I have been a three-season hill walker. However, for a while now I have been admiring winter pictures of the hills. So it was about time to try out some winter hill-walking myself. I took a few days off from work and after studying the weather reports decided on the west highlands as at that time most of the snow was falling in east Scotland - and I didn't really fancy getting cought out in a blizzard during my first winter walks. I thought Beinn Odhar would be good for a try - easy to reach with public transport, not too high, but still offering good views as reward - and it sure didn't disappoint.

I set out from Tyndrum on the WHW as far as the bridge over the rail way, and was quite surprised to face an almost grassy slope - not much snow (yet) on the south face. It was probably all for the better, as I still had to get used to walking in the cold and with a much heavier rucksack than on summer day trips. The walk up on the south-west shoulder was quite straightforward; every now and then there were even traces of a path.

02 Beinn Odhar from the bridge over the railway.JPG
Grassy south face Beinn Odhar

The first highlight was reaching the lochan at about 140m below the summit. The views opened up for the first time, but out of a sudden I was also standing in a pretty chilly wind.

35 View north over Lochan.JPG

Not much further to go now so I pushed on and soon I reached the summit cairn. There were great views in all directions, and I only regretted that I could not linger as long as I normally would have because it was getting quite cold in the wind.
61 View of Ben Lui and neighbours from summit of Beinn Odhar.JPG

41 View North past Beinn Dorain from summit of Beinn Odhar.JPG

43 View of Gleann Achadh-innis Chailein from summit of Beinn Odhar.JPG

45 View East to Loch Lyon.JPG

51 Beinn Chaorach from Beinn Odhar.JPG

53 Crianlarich hills and Ben Lomond from summit of Beinn Odhar.JPG

65 View West towards Ben Cruachan from summit of Beinn Odhar.JPG

I took the south-eastern shoulder down towards the second lochan, and then continued on the grassy ridge over Meall Buidhe and ultimately descended at Auchtertyre farm. That way I could enjoy the views south to the Crianlarich hills a bit longer without getting too cold. The sun was shining directly in my face so I didn't realise at the time that the views extended as far as Ben Lomond - but back home I spotted his characteristic shape on the pictures of :D Going was easy on the frozen ground, it might have been a different story in the summer, I suspect it would be quite boggy then.

72 View South over Meall Buidhe and second Lochan of Beinn Odhar.JPG
Walking direction for the rest of the afternoon

So all in all a really great first winter walk - and sure not my last.
rootebeete
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:17

Re: Beinn Odhar - first winter walk

Postby Graeme D » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am

Fantastic views from up there, aren't there? I thought that ascent was a bit of a killer when I did it in July. I kind of fancied the little lochan as a wildcamp spot but unfortunately had to put a bit more distance in that night and ended up camping at the top of Beinn Chaorach.
Graeme D

Munros:223   Corbetts:105
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 am

I think it looks a great hill - I've had my eye on it for some time - even before I started Munroing, so thanks for the report and pics.
mountain coward

Postby rootebeete » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 am

Definitely very nice views from the top! Can recommend it for a winter outing specifically - I thought it was nice and easy to climb up because the ground was frozen; going up I was thinking it must be much harder at times when the ground is not frozen. The south-east ridge will turn into a bog in the summer, and then I would avoid it. But camping at the lochan - there's a thought...
rootebeete
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland