walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrifran Gans and a truncated day

Carrifran Gans and a truncated day

Postby McMole » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Date walked: 24/11/2018

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 5.3 km

Ascent: 580m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I still had three Donald Tops to visit in the Moffat Hills. An ambitious plan was crafted to bag them all in a single walk. From the distance, height to climb and the terrain I thought that if everything went well I should manage it during the not quite eight hours between sunrise and sunset with an hour or so to spare. The weather forecast was favourable with a low probability of rain and moderate wind speeds, so on the Friday night I set the alarm for 5:30am.
Carrifran Gans route s.gif
P1030101 sm.JPG
Carrifran Wildwood car park
A 06:20 start saw me arrive in the Carrifran Wildwood car park off the A708 just before the sunrise time of 8am and I was away by 8:10. The car park appears to be open to all and there are noticeboards explaining the work that is being done to return the glen to a much earlier and more natural state by populating it with native tree species. From the car park I took a good path with wooden walkways and followed signs to the viewpoint.
P1030076 sm.JPG
The path to the viewpoint
P1030095 sm.JPG
On the way to the viewpoint
This is in a sheepfold and has several noticeboards describing the history of the glen and the work now being done.
P1030079 sm.JPG
The viewpoint
Passing through the sheepfold I turned right and headed round the new plantings to a shallow gully which led on up to the Keld Pot spring and to a tumbledown dry stone dyke and parallel fence heading directly up the hillside and over Dun Knowe.
P1030080 sm.JPG
On the 560m ascent to the top
A narrow rutted path climbed up beside the fence which provided something to cling to on the steepest sections when boots slipped on mud or greasy rocks. I stopped for a drink of water, checked the altitude on my Garmin - it was 445m, and continued. At about 650m I went to check my altitude again and found my Garmin was missing. With potentially the last five hunded metres of steep hillside to search, I decided to continue to the top before returning and spending however long it took to find my mislaid GPS. As I continued to follow the fence I entered low cloud, and after another 800m arrived at a bend in the fence with the small cairn marking the top of Carrifran Gans nearby.
P1030082 sm.JPG
The cairn on Carrifran Gans
On the way up I had decided that descending would not be as easy as ascending, and so it proved. The fence certainly came in handy a few times. Continually turning round to check the ground for the missing Garmin also slowed the descent. I continued down until sure I'd passed where I'd last checked my altitude, then started to reascend. Within a few tens of metres I noticed the flattened tussock where I'd sat and right beside it a glint through the grass proved to be my Garmin.
P1030085 sm.JPG
The flattened tussock and a glint in the grass
It had been lying there for almost exactly two hours. That meant the spare hour for contingencies in my three tops plan had turned into a one hour deficit. That was a shame as I had been a bit ahead of schedule at the top, and the weather was, as forecast, improving. I decided to take the prudent course, return to the car and start planning a return to collect the other two tops on a later date - from the north.
P1030086 sm.JPG
The Saddle Yolks
On the way down there was a good view across to the Saddle Yolks. They were on my planned return route from Din Law if I'd continued with my original plan.
P1030088 sm.JPG
Heading down
P1030089 sm.JPG
Viewpoint visible in the distance with the shallow gully and the path leading to it just ahead.
P1030096 sm.JPG
Looking back at Carrifran Gans
P1030098 sm.JPG
Path to viewpoint and area with saplings in bags waiting to be planted
P1030099 sm.JPG
car park
It had been another quiet day. I saw a total of two birds - a raven and a grouse - and no walkers. I may also have escaped a soaking because on the drive back to Edinburgh I encountered some really heavy rain.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland