walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaille wander

Meall a' Bhuachaille wander

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 25/11/2018

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 510m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meall a' Bhuachaille.
Date: 25/11/2018.
Distance: 8.5km.
Ascent: 510m.
Time taken: 3 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Cold and clear - a bit breezy with some sun.

After a wander up Craigellachie with Ross at the end of last month, we decided to try something a little higher this time round. A slightly difficult choice to make given that the weather is getting more wintery as time goes on, and Ross doesn't have any winter walking gear. I was originally thinking of Creag Bheag above Kingussie, but the weather looked promising enough to try Meall a' Bhuachaille.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off from Loch Morlich shortly after 11am up past the reindeer centre. As I usually come down this way, I don't tend to pay much attention to the route, so it took a little time before I was certain we were going up the right track.

Meall a’ Bhuachaille

Snowline quite obvious

The snowline looked to be at around 700m, but there was only a dusting above here. The path is pretty good these days, so it didn't take us too long to reach the snow, and then the summit. The main Cairngorm plateau was in the cloud, but Speyside looked atmospheric, and the lower summits along the edge of the range (like Carn Eilrig) were prominent.

Cairn Gorm

Loch Morlich

Back to the col

Speyside

We had a quick pie stop at the summit, where it became rather chilly after a few minutes, then headed down towards Ryvoan. There were quite a few people around today - at least another half-dozen or so folk passing us at the top, and we met more coming up from the Ryvoan direction.

Summit of Meall a’ Bhuachaille

Northern Corries

Loch Morlich and western Cairngorms

Across Creag nan Gall to the Northern Corries

Strath Nethy

The downward route was a bit steeper, although fortunately the steepest bit (now with stone steps) was below the snowline, and less slippery.

An Lochan Uaine

Ryvoan didn't seem to get closer for some time, but suddenly we were there. We had a quick nosy inside (all clean - still haven't stayed in this bothy), then made our way back towards Loch Morlich.

Descending to Ryvoan

Ryvoan

Inside Ryvoan

Walk-out to Loch Morlich

On the way out, we had a quick look at An Lochan Uaine. There is quite a variety of scenery in this walk over a short distance - something that the Cairngorms aren't really renowned for.

An Lochan Uaine

An Lochan Uaine

Sunlight on the walk-out

Cairn Gorm from Glenmore Lodge

We were back at the car around 3 hours after setting off - the day had turned out pretty well given some of the rain that had fallen on the drive down :) . All that remained was a stop-off at the Cairngorm Hotel for a late lunch and a pint (a half in my case - driving does have its disadvantages :lol: ). Another good day out. Not sure where next with Ross - potentially something a bit bigger again, but that will depend on what kind of winter we have!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:272   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:35

Re: Meall a' Bhuachaille wander

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am

Colin and I also got mildly confused past the reindeer centre....but we also missed the path down to Ryvoan :lol: :lol:
Loch morlich looks amazing with the snow round about 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:61   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:88   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:26

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 pm

This hill seems to have in spades that Cairngorm characteristic of the value of a hill being not itself, but the views you get from it. Those pics looking South and SW at the main Cairngorm massif are superb - the lighting and cloud cover are just superb.

CEO is recovering rapidly from her op, so I hope to be winterly active pretty soon ...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 pm

This hill seems to have in spades that Cairngorm characteristic of the value of the hill being not itself, but in the views you get from it. Those pics looking South and SW at the main Cairngorm massif are superb - the lighting and cloud cover are just superb. :clap: :clap: :clap:

CEO is recovering rapidly from her op, so I hope to be winterly active pretty soon ...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland