walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Croe - An Unscripted Trail

Glen Croe - An Unscripted Trail

Postby IsaOgg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Date walked: 28/11/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 290m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Okay so I decided to write this walk report because this is probably the prettiest route I've ever done! I haven't seen any report on this website for it so I thought I might as well pop it on here for everyone else to enjoy. Originally, I watched a video on YouTube by Eddie Burns (link for it is here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAx0xwoN5s) which I found really useful because he shows you all the tricky bits whilst adding some interesting commentary (he loves clouds does our Eddie).

Even if you watch the video make sure you bring a map!!! I relied on my phone's data unfortunately, and so was pretty much blind walking the whole time because there wasn't any service! Take some screenshots or print the OS map from the walkhighlands website if you can't buy one in time - you'll thank me later.

Overall, this walk actually took me eight hours because I started from Tarbet Train Station (which added on half an hour each way) and because I got lost (for an hour). Other than that, it's normally six hours from Succoth Car Park at the head of Loch Long. If walking from Tarbet, go the forestry way because it is also very scenic and gives a good warm up ( :lol: ).

IMG_20181117_095958.jpg
Forestry walk from Tarbet Station

IMG_20181117_100546.jpg

IMG_20181117_100806.jpg

So, starting at Succoth Car Park, you're heading on your way past the Argyll Forest Park sign off the main road, and walking up the zig zag until you hit the top. Thankfully, there is a little bench to catch your breath :wink: .

IMG_20181117_101726.jpg
The official start! Succoth Car Park

At the top, you'll see the bulk of anyone on this journey taking a right which leads off to the nearby Munros (Narnian and Ime) and a Corbett (The Cobbler). You are going to ignore this route however, instead walking past the aerial pylon thing onto a much quieter path that continues through some forestry. The path is like this pretty much all the way; rough but thankfully obvious.

Continue along this path until you reach a fork; one way goes down (with a sign saying the Cowal Way I think? It's towards a carpark anyways) and the other way goes up. Surprise, surprise we are going up :lol: . Keep going on until you reach another sort of fork with a track going behind you to the right, but ignore it and keep going straight on until you effectively reach the peak. This is the first and best scenic part of the trip because you get some stunning views of Glen Croe in front of you, and Loch Long kind of behind you. All my friends went mental over the pictures I took on my way back, when the sun was starting to set!

IMG_20181117_111936.jpg
The best viewpoint looking at the Glen itself!

IMG_20181117_114452.jpg

IMG_20181117_152816.jpg
Looking back at Loch Long - taken when I was on my way back and the sun was starting to set, hence the pinky haze

IMG_20181117_153551.jpg

Once you've taken some good photos, carry on down the hill, past a wee memorial for Julie, until you hit a car park (I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called, but it's right next to the A83 and is all tarmac). One nice thought about this bit you've just covered is that it is the final uphill you will have to do on your way back! :clap:

Now, the car park's a bit dull however you've officially entered Glen Croe so the hills in front of you really start to take shape and you can appreciate the shear size of them. Walk through the car park so as not to go on the road and you'll come across a wee track that leads upwards. Head on it but beware, it does get pretty boggy and my feet were quickly soaked in a burst stream. One you reach the end of that (over a wee bridge), I'm afraid there is no other option but to walk alongside the main road - keep to the grass and you'll be totally fine, just keep an eye out. Stick to the road for about ~10 minutes until you reach the Glen Croe green Forestry Commission sign. It's tarmac again and the track carries on for a few minutes before branching left or right. I got lost slightly before this and instead of sticking just that little bit longer to the road, I went off through a gate on my left which led to a fork - one way leading to a tree felling site, the other on up and up for half an hour until...a dead end. One hour wasted :? . This is why I say bring a map! Don't be a fool like me!

IMG_20181117_115257.jpg
The wrong way!

IMG_20181117_121523.jpg
The wrong way again!

Now, which way you go is up to you; you have the Old Military Road on your right which is all tarmac and stays close to the ground OR you can take a left, over a stream, onto a dirt track which will take you through the woods, away from the main road and much higher - it's a bigger climb but for me the views you get at the end are much much better. Both tracks seem like they go on forever, but a view of the Rest and Be Thankful Monument comes much sooner on the Military Road - it really depends on your motivation! If you can't decide you can always do what I did and go one way there and then one way back.

IMG_20181117_125331.jpg
Back on track at the Glen Croe Forestry Sign

I decided to start with the dirt track route because I knew it would get me to the site, whereas I wasn't 100% sure with the Military Road and that it might just meet another dead end. The dirt track, like I mentioned, is pretty much a onwards and upwards situation but it's not steep enough for you to really feel the strain. Just take some breaks and don't become disheartened by how long it seems - the end is nigh!

IMG_20181117_132301.jpg
Along the Forestry walk! Notice how the road looks like a loch line but it's actually just bang in the middle of the hill

About beyond-half-way you'll hit a fork with a track on your right which you will ignore (I didn't see it on my way, but the OS Map says that it's there so...). Further along still you'll hit another fork, this time with Forestry Commission green bicycle posts and a track going to your left and behind you. Again, ignore and keep going straight.

At the end of this, a view will open up and, hallelujah, you can begin to see your end point! Continue on the track and you'll reach a sign that leads to Ben Donich on your left. Go to your right, hit the carpark, and then pop along the B828 (once again, keep an eye out for cars) until you reach the Rest and Be Thankful Monument bang at the end. You get really good views here over the entire Glen, as well as three-point meet of some other hills behind you. Have a break! There was a wee snack/coffee van the last time I was there because this is a popular place for drivers to pull in and take break before heading on up to Fort William or wherever. Plenty of benches and an information panel telling you all about it.

IMG_20181117_134005.jpg
The end is nigh! The route to Ben Donich, near the car park

IMG_20181117_134010.jpg

IMG_20181117_134127.jpg
Looking back over the Glen at the Rest and Be Thankful

IMG_20181117_134459.jpg
Pretty sure I photobombed some American tourists' photo whilst I was scoffing a cream bun...

IMG_20181117_134900.jpg

When you're ready to head off again, the route is up to you. I took the Military Road back and it was very straight forward/clean. It got cold at this point though, because there's nothing protecting you from the wind as it gets trapped and buffeted in the valley. You'll pass a few farm buildings on your way (and the odd stray cow!) which means hiking over a few gates but nothing major. Follow this road all the way back to where it starts, and then it's just simply retracing your steps next to the road, through the car park, up the hill, through the forest and back to the Succoth Car Park!

IMG_20181117_140709.jpg

IMG_20181117_141816.jpg
On the Ol' Military Line

IMG_20181117_143413.jpg
Looking back

And there we have it! My photos don't do the route any where near enough justice, and the fact that it's not a well known path means that you have some time to yourself (and no one can see you struggling :wink: :wink: :wink: ). I don't know why walkhighlands haven't made a route for it, but hopefully this post will do to show some of you how to go about it! It's really very straightforward, but if in doubt, watch the YouTube video from Eddie because I only watched the first half and managed to find my way beginning to end with only one mishap 8) :lol: . If you're doing this in the later months, be wary of the fading light as I can imagine it will be quite dark in the overgrowth, but other than that, happy walking! :D
IsaOgg
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland