walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dark sky, autumn colours and a remarkable man

Dark sky, autumn colours and a remarkable man

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 7: Aviemore to Kincraig

Date walked: 08/11/2018

Distance: 11 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We left the car in Aviemore and took the bus to Kincraig. Getting off a bit north of the turning into the village, we were immediately struck by the brightness of the sun against the dark sky in the west.

IMG_6928-large.JPG

IMG_6929-large.JPG

Three days before the centenary of the end of WW1 the war memorial was bare.

Perhaps the poppies came later
IMG_6931-large.JPG

Rural bus stop
IMG_6932-large.JPG

We turned down the road signed for Kincraig and walked as far as the village shop, now closed, and crossed the road to a grassy viewpoint with a seat. Loch Insh is visible from here but not much of it.

Geal-charn and glimpse of Loch Insh
IMG_6933-large.JPG

We then retraced our steps to turn right along a side road that led to what was the home of an old friend, Stephen Anderson, who died 20 years ago on the ski slopes in France. He was an accomplished skiier (who had tried to improve my own rather poor technique) and it wasn't anything to do with skiing that took him. Before moving north he was a sheep farmer in Perthshire and used to joke that he had a Munro on his land which he'd never gone to the top of because he had no need to. He had dogs to do that.

Passing the house made me think of the morning we stopped here, on our way from Dundee to Ullapool to catch the ferry to Stornoway. I remember his wife Joy had made scones which were fresh out of the oven and how taken I was with their well behaved labrador, Midge. They gave us such a warm welcome. That was the last time we saw Stephen. The next time we were in Kincraig (a few months later) was for his funeral. He is buried beside the tiny white church that overlooks Loch Insh. An interesting and remarkable man whose book "Mussels at Midnight" is worth reading.

Former home of Capt Stephen Anderson
IMG_6935-largec.JPG

The road turns into a track which we followed until a signed right turn into woodland, an excellent path suitable for cyclists if they don't mind a bit of up and downhill in the mix.

IMG_6936-large.JPG

IMG_6937-large.JPG

When we came to a right fork going uphill we took it which meant at that point we were on part of the Badenoch Way that follows a wooded ridge running parallel to the SSW. This was a slightly rougher path, but worth it for the views over the River Spey and SE towards the hills of Glen Feshie.

River Spey
IMG_6940-largec.JPG

IMG_6942-largec.JPG

Dark sky
IMG_6947-large.JPG

Blue sky
IMG_6943-largec.JPG

IMG_6944-largec.JPG

This path soon reconects with the main path and once back on the SSW we continued north, passing the houses of Speybank on our right and then the wooden lodges of the Dalraddy campsite on our left.

IMG_6949-large.JPG

Despite being well into November the trees were holding on to their autumn colours and we took far too many photos.

IMG_6950-large.JPG

IMG_6952-largec.JPG

IMG_6953-largec.JPG

IMG_6955-large.JPG

Hills SW of Aviemore and a lone house on other side of railway
IMG_6956-largec.JPG

View towards high point of Craigellachie
IMG_6959-large.JPG

We could see the Duke of Gordon monument on its vantage point on our right and the ridge of Meall a' Bhuachaille (shepherd's ridge) ahead.

Sheep grazing in the shelter of the shepherd's ridge
IMG_6960-large.JPG

Dusting of snow on Cairngorm
IMG_6961-large.JPG

We passed the minor road up to the Youth Hostel and car park for Craigellachie, a nature reserve that is home to the peregrine falcon and would be a good addition to this route for those who have time. I was there a few weeks earlier when the autumn colours were beautifully reflected in the two Craigellachie lochans.

Craigellachie reflections
IMG_6843-largec.JPG

IMG_6857-large.JPG

IMG_6859-large.JPG

Back in Aviemore all we had to do was dip into a cafe for a quick lunch before picking up the car and heading home. An excellent morning's walk.
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Dark sky, autumn colours and a truly remarkable man

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 am

Is this a relatively new path?? I don't think it was around when I did the Speyside Way.

Really love the dark skies and autumn colour on the trees - great photos. A really good day to be out as long as one of those dark clouds doesn't catch you.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby gaffr » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:46 pm

The Poppies were laid there on Sunday 11th when I was passing on my bike heading towards Glen Feshie….there was a strong gathering of folks at the memorial.
SA was a welcoming man even for a sinner like me. I recall the 'His Van' a kind of old trailer caravan parked at the top of the Coire Cas car park. Always a sheltering haven from the wild weather and a chance for a hot cup of tea. Steven did ski instruction with the Abernethy folks.

Just recalled the first time that I met him was at Balavil at the time of the sheep clip not long after I came to the area....sleeves rolled up happily taking the fleece off one of the Blackfaces.

Could be that the person who asked about the path on what is now part the Speyside Way. the signs are up in Kincraig but the Website of the Speyside Way hasn't quite caught up with this fact....well it was like this a few weeks ago...they did not reply when I reminded them of this.

The path that the person walked in the past was the old path from Kincraig to Speybank….a fine wee path overlooking the Spey and the confluence with the Feshie. Much preferable to the new path....now all the way down to Aviemore but fairly dull to walk.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Is this a relatively new path?? I don't think it was around when I did the Speyside Way.

Really love the dark skies and autumn colour on the trees - great photos. A really good day to be out as long as one of those dark clouds doesn't catch you.

This path opened in 2015. In places runs parallel to the Badenoch Way - which is maybe what you did?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 pm

gaffr wrote:The Poppies were laid there on Sunday 11th when I was passing on my bike heading towards Glen Feshie….there was a strong gathering of folks at the memorial.
SA was a welcoming man even for a sinner like me. I recall the 'His Van' a kind of old trailer caravan parked at the top of the Coire Cas car park. Always a sheltering haven from the wild weather and a chance for a hot cup of tea. Steven did ski instruction with the Abernethy folks.

Just recalled the first time that I met him was at Balavil at the time of the sheep clip not long after I came to the area....sleeves rolled up happily taking the fleece off one of the Blackfaces.

I was never in the van but heard about it. Could do with one of those up there now with the funicular not running! How are they going to cope with the numbers without it? :?
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland