walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meallach Mhor on the evening commute

Meallach Mhor on the evening commute

Postby Ranger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 30/04/2018

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 25.5 km

Ascent: 530m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a couple of days working on the Balavil Estate near Kingussie, this was a quick afternoon jaunt - mostly on two wheels - en-route home to Deeside. Having made use of the flattest approach track along a glen I could remember, the ascent was a short romp up and down the heather of this retiring, underwhelming Corbett.

I parked at the bridge at the base of Glen Tromie, where the river plunges through a gorge, arriving after my work at around 3.30pm. I donned my new Montane windproof (intended to replace the tattered, much-loved version I’d been wearing since I was 13) and cycled off with the scents of pines enriched by the tang of spring showers. The lime greens of new growth were, as yet, sparse on the trees. The glen felt oddly domesticated, punctuated by a series of modern properties. There was barely any gradient to contend with, Meall Chuaich & a dog shaped snow-patch high on its northern flank dominating the skyline. Billowing clouds and ominous shadows threatened a downpour.

DSC00120.JPG
Heading south along Glen Tromie
DSC00123.JPG
Meallach Bheag, 695m, looks more impressive than its bigger brother from the glen
DSC00125.JPG
Meall Chuaich, with its dog-shaped snow patch, beyond the River Tromie
DSC00130.JPG
Meall Mheallach looms into view from the tarred Glen Tromie road
DSC00131.JPG
Meallach Mhor isn't the best at holding snow - just a couple of small patches

After 40 minutes of cycling the 7 miles up the glen, I left the crowing of a confused cockerel, from a near-by property, to embark on the short ascent – only a mile and 1200ft to the summit. The pathless heather-bashing was a bit harsh on my antiquated brashers. A steep, calf-burning slope was taken direct, with much blaeberry underfoot, criss-crossed by various paths, none manmade. Views broadened from the Newtonmore hills to Creag Meagaidh, reflective snow still blanketing its high plateau.

DSC00139.JPG
Looking south into the distant Gaick Forest area, home of two remote Corbetts
DSC00143.JPG
Considerable snow glimmers on the slopes of Creag Meagaidh, 20 miles distant
DSC00158.JPG
Skyscape looking south-westwards towards Meall Chuaich
DSC00160.JPG
The view south-eastwards into remote Grampian country of Carn Ealer and Beinn Bhreac (912m)
DSC00166.JPG
Shower cloud over Newtonmore
DSC00168.JPG
The Corbett A'Chaoirnich catches the sun in the Gaick Forest

The gradient eased and a carpet of cropped heather took me easily to the summit cairn. The high Cairngorms, dusted with fresh snow, were flanked by curtains of rain and hail. Elsewhere blue sky was a frequent backdrop; to a snowy Ben Alder over the shoulder of Meall Chuaich. I picked out Beinn Bhreac, surely the remotest Corbett in the Grampians. After 20 minutes at the top, I romped down the spoungey cushion of moss to the bike in only 15 minutes.

DSC00177.JPG
Heavy showers towards Aviemore
DSC00181.JPG
Sunshine on the ridges of Ben Alder, 20 miles away
DSC00183.JPG
Ben Alder beyond the summit cairn
DSC00185.JPG
Braeriach and the high Cairngorms with a dusting of fresh snow
DSC00186.JPG
Beautiful skyscape towards Aviemore
DSC00198.JPG
Pausing on my romp down the spoungey moss to photograph the summit in sunshine

The cycle down the glen was not the free-wheeling picnic it can often be. Having had no lunch my energy was sapped, and the head wind drained my momentum. A freezing deluge soaked me to the skin, with pins and needles from cold hands gripping the handlebars having to be shaken out. At one point I came off my bike for a break and was stumbling around like a drunk. I swept down possibly the only downhill stretch to return finally to the van, ending a descent where my average speed had only been 1 mph faster than the “uphill” section! :? :)

Still, a decent wee adventure squeezed into 3 hours, enlivening the commute home for sure :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland