walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubh - Photogenic Powerhouse

Beinn Dubh - Photogenic Powerhouse

Postby Rocketrocket » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 18/11/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 670m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First real go on a Graham for RocketRocket - and wow what an experience.

For an out of shape chap (soon to hopefully be in shape!) the first 200 meter inline was a small torture - but the weather was perfect. The going through the small forest and the the first part of the hill was good but as I finally reached the first plate it gets a little boggy. A few happy go lucky folks got soggy feet but that didn't seem to spoil their day.

The 2nd incline really tested by resolve, but powering through I eventually got to the top for excellent views from the little stone pile cairn and a spot of afternoon tea. But boy my legs were done and I knew the decline around the horseshoe was even more punishing than the one I just climbed so plumped to head back down the way I came. Hey - it was a day for the views so it was worth it.

What a wonderful hill and a wonderful day, Highly recommended - especially if you want to get fitter!
Attachments
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_3328.jpg
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_1993.jpg
Rocketrocket
Walker

Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Beinn Dubh - Photogenic Powerhouse

Postby PeteR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Some great images. I recall a boggy, windy day when I did the horseshoe. There are some other fine Grahams in the area too :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:153
Grahams:87   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:166   Hewitts:3
Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland