walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magnificent Malky's Millennial Marilyn

Magnificent Malky's Millennial Marilyn

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am

Route description: Conic Hill, Balmaha

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Conic Hill

Date walked: 02/12/2018

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 484m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Malky’s obsession with Marilyns has been well documented on Walk Highlands (largely by himself :lol: ) He had been working his way through the 990’s recently and I had assumed that the 1000 mark would have been passed on his way south. However he had decided on some bigger hills (who says it’s not all about size :wink: ) which meant an excursion up Conic Hill on Sunday would see him hit the big 1000, Upper MarHof and Epic Level of Geekery and Loserness :lol:

The morning looked horrible so we had a late start and set off from Balmaha just after 1.30. Although it wasn’t actually raining it was overcast and a bit damp. Perfect weather for getting rid of the cold that I’d had for most of a month :roll:

An easy climb initially, we could see back to Loch Lomond as we gained height

There’s nothing especially interesting to say about the climb even on a nice day (and this couldn’t be put in that category :lol: ) It’s a good path most of the way, even steps on the steep section before becoming muddier higher up. We met several people coming down looking a bit damp :lol: Even going slowly we took about 40 minutes to the summit and the views were magnificent… :roll:

Malky on his 1000th Marilyn. He’s so excited he can hardly contain himself :lol:

I didn’t get a summit photo last time I was here :lol:

Then I was so intimidated by Malky’s awesomeness that I fell over :lol: :roll:

We weren’t 100% sure which was the higher summit (and couldn’t see anyway :lol: ) so continued along the ridge over a smaller bump to a larger bump where Malky had a celebratory dram. Mine was purely medicinal of course :wink:

I felt I needed to bow to Malky the Magnificent :lol:

Looking back – it actually turned out that the second summit was the highest afterall :lol:

We then decided to be a bit silly :lol: There was no falling over in the making of this picture…. :roll:

Before heading back to the other (non) summit where it appeared to clear a little

Actual summit

We then headed along the ridge in case it cleared and got the stunning vistas down Loch Lomond. It didn’t, but at least we turned it into a sort of circular walk.

Malky in his super colourful new boots 8)

Malky suggested making it even more circular by trying to find the other path down Druim nan Buraich which was a bit more exciting

We also practised some pacing here – much easier than the night nav I’d done on the Campsies the other week; also less dark and less boggy :lol:

Don't really remember the context of this :lol:

We did eventually sort of drop out of the clag and could see a very atmospheric Loch Lomond

We then zig zagged through vegetation (fortunately on a path 8) ) back to the road, where we had a short distance to walk back to the car. Malky was so excited by his new boots that kept the water out that he decided to walk in a puddle to prove how good they were. What he actually proved was that the puddle was deeper than he thought and that water still comes over the top of new boots the same as any others. What a numpty :lol: :lol: :lol:

GPS track went a bit mental :shock:

conic.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Magnificent Malcy's Millennial Marilyn

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am

:lol:

Still quite an achievement Malky :thumbup:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 pm

What an "i-conic" way to get into the Upper Hall. The kind of low key celebrations that we approve of :D But yeah, well done.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Sgurr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 pm

Well done to malky_c. Apart from having done all the other lists in double quick time, he now appears to be aiming for legendary status with a double quick Marilyn completion. Are you going up the sea stacks with him?They might feature a bit higher on your approval scale. Of course, the thing to do when you reach the Upper Hall is the truly geeky thing of spelling it all out in your equipment

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:59 pm

I really don't know which of you is the maddest.... :roll: :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby apollo0815 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 am

The maddest in this collection is definitely Jaxter :) Consider it a honorary title, though.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Jaxter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm

weaselmaster wrote:What an "i-conic" way to get into the Upper Hall. The kind of low key celebrations that we approve of :D But yeah, well done.

Groan.... :lol: :lol:

Sgurr wrote:Well done to malky_c. Apart from having done all the other lists in double quick time, he now appears to be aiming for legendary status with a double quick Marilyn completion. Are you going up the sea stacks with him?They might feature a bit higher on your approval scale. Of course, the thing to do when you reach the Upper Hall is the truly geeky thing of spelling it all out in your equipment

That is very cool!! And less microsoft paint editing required :lol:

apollo0815 wrote:The maddest in this collection is definitely Jaxter :) Consider it a honorary title, though.

Taking that as a compliment :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby malky_c » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Cheers for writing that up - much better than my effort, especially since there are rather limited photos available :lol: . And thanks to everyone else for the comments 8) .

Sgurr wrote:Well done to malky_c. Apart from having done all the other lists in double quick time, he now appears to be aiming for legendary status with a double quick Marilyn completion

I doubt I'll be finishing them (or even getting particularly close - there's loads more than the sea stacks that are likely to stop me). And I'm pretty sure you and R were knocking off more a year than I ever have (I think I managed over 80 in 2012, a record that I'm unlikely to better), so I'm not that fast either!

apollo0815 wrote:The maddest in this collection is definitely Jaxter :) Consider it a honorary title, though.

I think without knowing it, you have set a challenge. No idea how it might end :roll: :lol: .
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sgurr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm

malky_c wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Well done to malky_c. Apart from having done all the other lists in double quick time, he now appears to be aiming for legendary status with a double quick Marilyn completion

I'm pretty sure you and R were knocking off more a year than I ever have (I think I managed over 80 in 2012, a record that I'm unlikely to better), so I'm not that fast either!

I think I did around 150 the year that Ted did 250, but we have been retired for years now, so it's hardly a comparison. I meant in age terms, not in Marilyns per year.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland