walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

“Wee Jaxter” on Scotland’s highest in traditional conditions

“Wee Jaxter” on Scotland’s highest in traditional conditions

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 23/09/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having conquered all the other highest peaks in the UK – 4 in the lakes and Snowdon in Wales, I figured that since I had now (wisely) moved north of the border that I ought to take in Scotland’s highest mountain. With my dad visiting for a few days, a lift was available and we set off early for Fort William. Initially thoughts of the CMD arête had been toyed with but unfortunately the weather had alternative plans and the arête would have to wait.

We arrived, boots on and headed up the path. Although the weather in the Glen was not bad, once we started ascending the rain arrived very swiftly. Waterproofs quickly were donned and stayed on for the remainder of the day.

Before long the weather was so horrible that no photos were taken; I have no memory of halfway lochan, only clag and zig zags. When we finally reached the summit it was snowing and it was freezing! A quick photo was taken before we beat a very hasty retreat reaching the car after only about 4.5 hours. Pretty quick for us at the time!

Unfortunately it seemed that my waterproofs were not very waterproof, and I was too much an amateur to have spare clothes with me….so I spent a good bit of time drying off clothes one item at a time under the hand dryer before the long drive home….

A box ticked perhaps, but definitely one to return to!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland