walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on Ben Lomond!

Sunshine on Ben Lomond!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely weather was forecast, I was able to stay in Glasgow for part of the summer and hitting the hills seemed like a good idea! My friend Keith and I joined forces and headed to Rowardennan. It was an afternoon start due to work commitments in the morning but we had plenty of daylight.

I had wanted to go up the Ptarmigan ridge, but we struggled to find the start of it, plus Keith was being a big wuss. So we settled for the boring tourist route.

The ascent was easy and not very interesting, although we met a group of lads on bikes who were cycling up. Most were doing a lot of carrying, although there was one that we dubbed the “Duracell Bunny” as he just kept on going!

Looking back

Looking across to the Cobbler

Finally coming out the top onto the ridge the views opened out

Eventually we reached the summit and were able to enjoy the famed views down Loch Lomond

Summit photo!

Our objective reached, I was able to see the top of the Ptarmigan ridge. Thinking that it would be a shame to return via the same route, I suggested going down it. It was a fabulous route, despite Keith’s complaints “It’s a ridge, that means danger!”

I’m sure in bad conditions it may have been tricky but on a day like this it was a joy. Eventually on easier ground we were able to enjoy water features…

…so pretty that I didn’t notice my apple escaping 😦

But it did mean a perfect excuse for stopping at the Oak Tree Inn on the way home for some epic mince and tatties!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland