walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the best choice of routes but satisfying none the less..

Not the best choice of routes but satisfying none the less..

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Ben Vane

Date walked: 14/08/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had it in my mind to go walking again, and poor, long-suffering friend Keith was dragged along. Having researched routes, we discovered a pair that could be climbed together…or so we thought, using this route and missing off Ben Narnain.

Keith had a car, which had absolutely nothing to do with him being my walking buddy of choice…. We left Glasgow, parked at Inveruglas and headed up towards Ben Vane.

As we climbed, the views got better and better…

Loch Lomond

Sloy Dam and Ben Vorlich behind

Company

Ben Vane is a steep little bugger, and Keith insisted on a tea stop part way up..

At this point conditions began to deteriorate. We were in the clag, and when we finally made the summit of Ben Vane we were looking at the traditional views of the inside of a cloud :roll:

Undeterred, I tried to work out our next move. Keith was very much deterred, but got dragged along. Unfortunately we didn’t quite get it right, and ended up doing some rather more dodgy crag-hopping that we had hoped :shock:

It also turned out that our “route” wasn’t really a route at all…these two hills aren’t usually climbed together! Having lost a lot of height, we were back into the sunshine and then faced the long slog up to the summit of Ben Ime. Poor Keith was not having the best time, but we soldiered on and eventually made it to the top. And this summit was clear 8)

Our earlier conquest, also now clear..

The Cobbler

My posing clearly needs work…

After a refuel, we made our way down without incident and returned home. Keith was not keen to walk with me again… :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:61   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:87   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland