walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter winter(ish) traverse and a significant Marilyn

Drumochter winter(ish) traverse and a significant Marilyn

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Conic Hill

Date walked: 02/12/2018

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 1515m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: A' Mharconaidh, Beinn Udlamain, Sgairneach Mor.
Sub 2k Marilyns: Conic Hill.
Date: 01 and 02/12/2018.
Distance: 19km + 5.5km.
Ascent: 1045m +470m.
Time taken: 4 hours, 50 minutes and 2 hours, 20 minutes.
Weather: Mixed, with calm sunny spell followed by light snow/rain. Calm and misty on Conic Hill.

Not an overly promising weather forecast for the weekend, but it didn't look that bad either. East seemed to be brightest, so I opted for a straightforward circuit from the A9 for Saturday. I was walking by 10:30 am (not quite as early as intended), and the conditions looked fairly benign, if not overly inspiring.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Heading into Coire Domhain

Having passed under the railway, I followed the track into Coire Domhain for a short distance before hitting the slopes of the Boar of Badenoch. Not having been up here before, I thought this would be a nice little addition to the route.

Sgairneach Mor

The Sow

Sgairneach Mor from The Boar of Badenoch

The slopes were steep but easy, and I was on the summit before too long. Still grey, but this is one of the best spots to look up and down the Drumochter pass from. A fresh covering of snow on the plateau was thin enough that it didn't really slow down my pace towards A' Mharconaidh.

A’ Bhuidheanach Beag

South through the Drumochter

North through the Drumochter

There were a couple of hags at the col, then a more heathery ascent for the first section of A' Mharconaidh. I began traversing rightwards towards the ridge on the other side of the corrie, but this wasn't any less heathery so I reverted to going straight up. Again it didn't take too long to get onto the A' Mharconaidh plateau.

Cloud pouring over Sgairneach Mor

On A’ Mharconaidh

The weather made a turn for the better here, with the sun coming out to the west. It looked like my fairly uninspired choice of hills was fully justified, as I seemed to be in the centre of the best weather 8) . I chatted to a couple at the summit briefly - they had reached the same conclusion!

Drumochter from A’ Mharconaidh

North ridge of A’ Mharconaidh

Ben Alder from A’ Mharconaidh

Even better was the walk over to Beinn Udlamain - the views over Loch Ericht to Ben Alder and the Laggan hills opened up and it continued to get brighter. Also, unlike most recent excursions, there was barely a breath of wind :D .

Sgairneach Mor

Across Loch Ericht to Ben Alder and Geal Charn

Loch Ericht and Loch Pattack

Sgairneach Mor

I stopped for lunch near the summit of Beinn Udlamain, overlooking Loch Ericht. Carrying on over the top, things began to get a little greyer, and the cloud moved in as I descended. It was looking like the weather window had conveniently opened for the most scenic part of the walk, and was now closing again.

Beinn Udlamain

Alder and Ardverikie hills

On Beinn Udlamain

TheFara

Back to A’ Mharconaidh

A’ Mharconaidh

The Fara

Beinn Bheoil

Loch Ericht panorama

Stob an Aonaich Mhor and south down Loch Ericht

Heading for Sgairneach Mhor

I was out of the cloud as I descended towards Sgairneach Mor, then back in again. Originally I had been keen to look over into the corrie on Sgairneach Mor which looks out to the A9. Having been here before in winter conditions, I knew this held a good cornice, and was pretty impressive. I couldn't see it at all when I got there, but having enjoyed the views earlier, I wasn't too bothered.

Summit of Sgairneach Mhor

I dropped rapidly down the ridge back to Coire Domhain. My previous visit a good 12 years ago had also taken in the Sow of Atholl, but the weather didn't invite this detour today. Besides I had been up there just a few weeks ago. Instead I tramped through increasingly soggy snow, which turned into a boggy vehicle track. This conveniently delivered me to a bridge and the good track back to the car. A satisfying day out, but my feet were wet again. Maybe this afternoon was finally the time to stop procrastinating and buy new boots?

The original plan had been for a bothy weekend somewhere with Jackie but she still had a cold (surely nothing to do with our summit camp a couple of weeks back when she already had a cold :roll: ). In order to stop her from making any further daft plans, I suggested a nice easy walk that didn't involve any tents or bothies.

As it happened, I had looked at my Marilyn count a couple of months ago and realised it was rapidly approaching 1000. I only tend to check a couple of times a year, but 6 months spent down south at the beginning of the year had clearly pushed the numbers up faster than I had expected. That tied in nicely with Sunday. Conic Hill seemed a good bet - a nice easy walk (to avoid aggravating Jackie's cold and to break in the new boots that I had bought the day before 8) ), good views (theoretically!) and not too high, meaning more chance of seeing something if the weather was poor.

Conic map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast was poor in the morning so we had a lazy start and didn't start walking until 1:30pm. The weather was really benign, but the cloud was right down to sea level almost, which was a bit disappointing. Given the lack of views, this barely deserved a report in its own right. Since Jackie has already written a great one, I have just tagged this onto the end of the previous day's wander instead, with minimal words (and photos :roll: )

Loch Lomond

Heading for the proper summit

Almost clearing

1000th Marilyn dram - Aberlour

Heading down Druim nan Buaraich

Fortunately the hilarity of the afternoon made up for the lack of scenery - I'll need to go up Conic Hill again! We celebrated with an early dinner in the Oak Tree Inn while the forecast apocalypse moved in, then I dropped Jackie back in Glasgow and headed up the road home. A fairly leisurely but enjoyable weekend :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Drumochter winter(ish) traverse and a significant Marily

Postby Jaxter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Looks like you stole all the views on Saturday 8) Never mind, least I'd had views from Conic Hill before. Nae whisky that time though :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby inca » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Quite an achievement on the Marilyns count Malcy. Well done :clap: :clap:
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Well done Malcolm, congratulations from us both :clap: :clap:

As a curious cat, I checked my Marylin count: 467... not even half way to one thousand. I'm well behind you...

We considered a route on Drummochter Munros on Saturday, too, but ended up on Sgor Gaoith in the Cairngorms. Not as bad a day as forecast, but we started with the first daylight and were well on our way down before the cloud began to break. Maybe we should have waited till later to get better views from the summit :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland