walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Glas by itself from Glen Dochart (bog bog bog)

Meall Glas by itself from Glen Dochart (bog bog bog)

Postby frsrgrdn2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 08/12/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbed this today and it rained from 9 through to 1, ie all the way up ! If there was a path on way up i never found it as i stupidly detoured almost immediately by taking the deer stalking road to the left of the burn instead of following the path on the right hand side. Then when the road ends i should have crossed burn in full spate and followed the path if you could call it that. Anyhow i went my own way up the hill, then you can sea Meall Glas in distance. Unfortunately you need to cross 2 miles of bog after 2 weeks of rain and in the pouring rain. Really this is a summer Munro guys! When i did climb the actual mountain i still couldn't find any path , so hard hard slog up steep grass. When i did almost get to the very top i was lucky to see a herd of deer no less than 100 ! This after hardly seeing any deer all year. Still a bit of snow on North face of Glas. No views just mist and rain. Quick retreat back down and march through bog bog bog until i found path which IS ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE as you go up initially. Boggy path anyhow and very easily lost.... Took 7 hours, just made it back to car before it got dark... Worth the trip to see the herd of deer and heard a faint roar of a stag.
frsrgrdn2
Mountain Walker

Munros:83   Corbetts:4

Re: Meall Glas by itself from Glen Dochart (bog bog bog)

Postby Coop » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Think if I ever did these 2 again I'll be coming in from kenknock.
I'll hope we have a barren dry summer and I'll go up for the Corbett there
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland