walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corran Meet day 1: Pre-mince pie warmup

Corran Meet day 1: Pre-mince pie warmup

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gucaig, Tom Meadhoin

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Doire Ban

Date walked: 08/12/2018

Time taken: 6.9 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn na Gucaig, Tom Meadhoin.
Sub 2k Marilyns: Doire Ban.
Date: 01 and 08/12/2018.
Distance: 21 km.
Ascent: 1500m.
Time taken: 6 hours, 55 minutes.
Weather: Warm and showery - some views.

Christmas meet time again - not sure why the Saturday always seems to start with a sore head and a strong aftertaste of whisky, but a good fry-up helped :lol: . After some vaguely remembered chat the previous evening, David (Rounsfell) and I had decided on something that didn't require any driving - a circuit of Beinn na Gucaig, Doire Ban and Tom Mheadhoin fit the bill nicely. On our way at 10:30 am, we took a route that passed Inchree waterfalls - a long time since I've been here.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sgurr na h-Eanchainne from Inchree

Inchree falls

I had a vague memory of a path going up the SW ridge of Beinn na Gucaig, and sure enough, we found a faint way. Managed to lose it again on and off shortly afterwards, before meeting a vague quad bike track which led up to the transmitter thingy that Glencoe MRT own. Despite the so-so weather, the views back down Loch Linnhe and over to Ardgour didn't disappoint. There was even some sunshine on Stob Coire a’ Chearcaill.

Ardgour

SW down Loch Linnhe

Sgurr na h-Eanchainne and the Corran Narrows

Loch Linnhe

Duror

Sunshine over Inverscaddle

MRT transmitter

Stob Coire a’ Chearcaill

Shortly afterwards we caught up with Sabine and Matt, before heading into the cloud after a bit of a chat. Not much doing at the top, so we didn't hang around, dropping down to the col. I say col, but the head of Gleann Righ is about 150m above sea level. Who's daft plan was this? Oh yes, I think it might have been mine :wink: . Pretty steep descent lower down as well - Rounsfell was heard to say 'I wish I'd brought some new boots' more than once! I was feeling smug, having done exactly that last weekend, and therefore didn't fall on my arse at all.

Loch Linnhe from Beinn na Gucaig

Across Loch Linnhe to Inverscaddle bay

Descending Beinn na Gucaig

Lochan Luinn da Bhra

This was the place for second thoughts, as we could easily hit the track down the glen and be back at the bunkhouse for mid-afternoon. But somehow, despite the opportunity to sleep seeming very appealing, we decided to plough on with the circuit (a decision briefly regretted 100m further up...). Fortunately after a short section of bog, the slopes of Doire Ban were easy going underfoot - which made it more obvious how steep it was :roll: :lol: .

Sron Garbh from Doire Ban

There were views of sorts from Doire Ban - the only summit we saw anything from today. A bit limited, but nice views through the lifting clag to Lairig Mor and Ardgour.

Loch Linnhe from Doire Ban

The next drop was less vicious, and an hour later we were approaching the summit of Tom Meadhoin. No idea exactly when I was last up here, but I think around 1993, and there were views - good ones. Not so today unfortunately, so we rapidly moved on to the western summit and then down, with a quick map check to avoid us ending up in North Ballachulish.

Descending Tom Mheadhoin

Ballachulish Bridge

The light was going now, and we spotted a stile leading over to a fire break on the northern slopes. This led to a track which could potentially take us out of the glen rapidly, but the map said otherwise. Risk it or not? We decided not to, and instead plodded on up Tom Iain, and then onwards over heathery ground towards the trig point on Beinn an Aonaich Mhoir. Strangely, a guy appeared out of the woods at the stile and wandered up to Tom Iain ahead of us, before sitting on the summit to make a phonecall.

Sgurr na h-Eanchainne and Ardgour

At least we were out of the cloud now, and it wasn't an unpleasant evening either. The map called for a visit to Sidhean an Aonaich Mhoir next, but this really didn't appeal in the fading light as the ground was getting rougher and the vegetation higher. Instead we decided to plough straight down to the river just west of Gleann Seileach and cross it to get to the main track back to Inchree. While easy enough higher up, this deteriorated into quite interesting terrain lower down that had us both reminiscing about our favourite Galloway tussock experiences (in between some mild cursing anyway). To add to the fun, there was some lovely (to look at) woodland lower down on the slopes, before we finally reached the river. Headtorches on at this point, we plunged straight through it and I managed to fill my nice new boots up with water :roll: . Still, we were done with the awkward stuff, and it hadn't taken us too long to drop off the hill. All that remained was a couple of miles back down the glen. A decent day out despite the weather, which left us feeling deserving of the 45 courses of buffet that were on offer later on :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Corran Meet day 1: Pre-mince pie warmup

Postby Jaxter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Another of your friends who needs new boots....wondering what the common denominator is here :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland