walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corran Meet day 2: Ardgour by bike

Corran Meet day 2: Ardgour by bike

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Route description: Castle Tioram and the Silver Walk circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Moidart)

Date walked: 09/12/2018

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Beinn Bhreac.
Date: 09/12/2018.
Distance: 7 km.
Ascent: 400m.
Time taken: 1 hour, 45 minutes.
Weather: Sunny and cold but calm.
Part way through an 85 mile bike ride

Looking back over the last couple of years worth of meets (whether Walkhighlands or others), I noticed a bit of a theme for me - Sunday is usually for cycling! I decided to keep this up for the Christmas meet - a circuit of Ardgour looked appealing, and for the second day running, I wouldn't need to drive anywhere 8) . I wouldn't call Saturday night subdued exactly, but I managed to get to bed for a semi-sensible hour, and was on the 10:15am ferry to Ardgour the following morning without too much of a sore head.

Cycle route map

On the ferry

The weather was perfect for cycling - some winter sunshine but clag on the higher summits, and little in the way of wind. As is coming traditional, I decided to throw in a short walk somewhere. Plenty of options on this loop, but Beinn Bhreac looked like the most likely choice. After leaving the ferry, it was a lovely easy start down to Inversanda, before the climb up through Glen Tarbert and subsequent descent to Strontian. There was little in the way of traffic, and I kept stopping to take photos.

Across Loch Linnhe from Glen Gour

SW down Loch Linnhe

Sgurr a’ Chaorainn and Beinn na h-Uamha

Across to Fraochaidh

Beinn Bheag from the road

The sun really came out on the road between Strontian and Salen - in fact this was a bit I had never ridden before (and only driven a handful of times), and was really looking forward to. My favourite kind of cycling, this :D

Loch Sunart

Somewhere between Strontian and Resipole

Salen

The road went up and down a bit, before a slightly longer climb over to Acharacle. I had been here only a week earlier for work, and the weather was a hell of a lot better this time! While it was tempting to stop in at the Tioram café for some cake and coffee, there wasn't a massive amount of daylight available, and I wanted to get around the most scenic bits of the ride before dark.

Shiel Bridge

Immediately over the Shiel Bridge, I swung a left for a detour up to Castle Tioram. Although it's only a couple of miles off the main road, I've never been up here before. The surface isn't great but it's really scenic, and well worth a look. At the castle parking area, I decided to follow the Silver Walk circuit, with a very short diversion to take in a Marilyn I hadn't been up :roll: . Over to the castle first, then round the coast on an intricately constructed path who's route isn't obvious until you are on it. The coastal scenery round here is up there with the best in Scotland - like the Outer Hebrides but with trees!

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back to dry land from Castle Tioram

South Channel

Castle Tioram

Cruach nam Meann

Castle Tioram from the Silver Walk

Silver Walk

After a mile or two round the coast, it was time to pick up a poorer path leading up towards Lochan na Fola. This was a little damp in places, but only because I was wearing trainers. A short diversion up a steeper slope to the left led me to the summit, with a vista of Loch Shiel and hills, the coast, Ardnamurchan and the Small Isles. Just my kind of spot 8) . There were heavy showers approaching from Rum, the edge of which hit me, and I might possibly have got a better view from one of the outcrops closer to the coast, but I wasn't complaining.

Ascending towards Beinn Bhreac

Looking back across Shona Beag

Across Loch Moidart

Loch Moidart and Shona Beag

Ascent away from the path

Showers moving in

Lochan na Fola

Ardnamurchan from Beinn Bhreac

Shower over Beinn Resipol

Showers out to sea

North across Glen Moidart

Back on the path, I was soon at Lochan nam Fola, where a short ascent led me to a narrow rocky glen and a tiny reservoir. The path down from here was good, with views out to Eigg, then I was on the road back to the bike. A diversion well worth making, I decided!

Reservoir

Reservoir above Glac Mhor

Descent towards Eigg

Back on the bike, it was getting on for 3pm and the best light of the day. I had a couple of climbs ahead of me - over to Loch Moidart, then again to Glenuig. At Glenuig, there was still enough light for photos of Rum and Eigg, and I didn't need to put my lights on until meeting the Mallaig road at Lochailort shortly after 4pm.

Beinn Resipol

South across the end of Loch Shiel

Loch Moidart

Last light over Ardnamurchan

Eigg and Rum from Glenuig

Rum and Eigg

Last look at Rum from near Alisary

While I had managed to cover the best of the scenery in the daylight, it isn't like the route from Lochailort back to the ferry is anything approaching dull. While the light had mostly gone, it wasn't fully dark until Glenfinnan, and then there was a spectacular display of stars and lights across the loch as I pedalled along the south side of Loch Eil. Stopping briefly for food, I realised it was now also freezing!

This road was probably the quietest of the day (although even traffic on the Mallaig road had been light), and only 4 or 5 cars passed me on the final 20 miles from the end of Loch Eil back to the ferry. I had hoped to make the 6:30pm ferry, but by 6:28pm I was only at Inverscaddle, so that clearly wasn't going to happen! Easing off the pace a bit, I made the 7pm ferry with 15 minutes to wait, and was back at the car and ready for the drive home 5 minutes later. A fantastic day out on the bike in one of my favourite bits of the country, and a good ending to a great Christmas meet 8) .

Waiting for the ferry
Last edited by malky_c on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Corran Meet day 2: Ardgour by bike

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Awesome cycle eh :D I absolutely love this route! I've also started at Lochailort Station and going clockwise, however the start from Ardgour is more pleasing :)

That walk is pretty spectacular, especially nearing the finish and looking to the Isles :)

Well done on getting so much done in daylight :clap: Definately be cycling and walking these again spring or summer.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Jaxter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm

All sorts of my favourite places, lucky you 8) 8) not jealous at all :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:05 pm

That is a hoof and a half Malky and you would have past me on the shore at Camas a Choirc on Loch Sunart that day although i was well hidden from the road.

Great wee hill Beinn Bhreac ..great cycle well done a' bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland