walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fitty Hill circuit

Fitty Hill circuit

Postby thepigguy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Fitty Hill

Date walked: 18/11/2018

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 181m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was my most recent trip up "my local" Fitty Hill and I thought I'd include a report to suggest a possible circuit as opposed to the previous report of a linear walk.

I parked by what remains of Heatherbank farm buildings up the track signposted Fitty Hill viewpoint. I set off to use the footpath between the fields that points at the summit in a straight line, but a hurdle, tightly tied with baler twine was in the way and, having no knife or spare twine with me, I merely followed the vehicle track through the field on the left, joining the path at the next gateway.

The path leads straight to a fence where there is a stile which my dog Owen decided he couldn't climb over (he managed last time) so I had to lift the big idiot over. It's then a short, steep climb up beside the fence, past some ancient stone strainers to the top, where there's another stile to get over to reach the trig point and some of the best views in Orkney.

From the top, I crossed the fence again and headed north, keeping to the right to avoid the crags of Highlandman's Hamars and the boggy Bloody Tuaks. Even here the ground can be extremely wet, but good weather throughout October and November meant the going was good.

We crossed the burn, then another fence - Owen squeezing through a gap - before heading up to the corner of a field, turning sharp right to meet a fence with blue pipe and some stones forming the most basic of stiles - I lifted Owen over again - before the short, gentle climb up to Gallo Hill.

We dropped straight down towards the wind turbines, meeting a very wet track which turned left and then right - drying out all the way - past the windmills (one of which belongs to the island and pumps thousands of pounds a year into local projects) before turning south down the road back to Heatherbank.

Visitors to the island might find it easier to park at the NE corner of the circuit where there is plenty of space at the entry to the windmills and start along the road from there.

fittygallo10.jpg
Looking back at the path towards Fitty Hill

rsz_fittygallo9.jpg
Owen at the top of Fitty Hill

rsz_fittygallo5.jpg
Owen at the top of Gallo Hill

rsz_fittygallo3.jpg
Old quarry workings under Gallo Hill

rsz_fittygallo1.jpg
Panorama of Fitty Hill and Gallo Hill - modest hills, but a fine short walk.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland