walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gameshope saplings and a levitating barn

Gameshope saplings and a levitating barn

Postby McMole » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Erie Hill , Garelet Dod

Date walked: 03/12/2018

Time taken: 5.7 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 910m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A fine day was forecast and so it proved for another shot at collecting a couple of Donald tops. Circumstances had cut short my attempt to do Great Hill and Din Law from the south via Carrifran Gans. Today was to collect them from the north starting from the south end of Talla Reservoir.
Games Hope tops route.jpg
A 9:30 start found the summits still in cloud so I decided to walk up the track beside the Games Hope Burn and perhaps reserve the summits for the return journey. I can confirm that I saw no bridges anywhere upstream, or any feasible crossings that wouldn't require a wade. The track ended at the buildings and ford at Gameshope where a path continued onwards near the burn. This area is now owned by the Borders Forest Trust who are working to restore it to its natural state. I noticed the path passed through areas that had been planted, though that wasn't very obvious. Short bamboo sticks protruded from shorter plastic sapling protectors.
P1030104 s.JPG
Four saplings hiding in the grass
Even with the summer vegetation dying back they could easily be overlooked and trampled. Best to stick to the path and keep your eyes on the ground if not.
P1030107 s.JPG
Do the red ribbons mark the preferred route or something totally different
There were a few sticks (four) with red ribbons that might be marking the path, or may be there for a totally different purpose. When I reached the confluence of Donald's Cleuch with the Games Hope Burn I followed the smaller stream upstream for about 300m before I found an easy crossing and could start up the north ridge of Great Hill. The top was in thin cloud and unmarked by any cairn. Though my Garmin showed me on the OS spot height I wasn't convinced it was the highest point. I walked over to what appeared to be slightly higher ground and had that confirmed when back home I found another on-line site had the summit NGR as NT 14592 16394 about 50m SE of the OS spot height.
P1030113 s.JPG
The remains of the dismantled fence as I descend Great Hill below the cloud
On my way down to the Games Hope Burn I followed a trampled groove in the vegetation beside the remains of a fence. Whoever had dismantled it had done a good job. I only noticed one short length of rusty wire poking out of the ground. A welcome change from other old fences where trip hazards abound.
P1030114 s.JPG
Gameshope Loch with Din Law to its left
As I dropped down out of the mist the view to Din Law was soon revealed as was the crop of wind turbines of the Clyde Wind farm in the far distance.
P1030115 s.JPG
The Clyde Wind Farm
Below me I could see a rusty red barn where Jaywizz had crossed the burn in 2016.
P1030117 s.JPG
The levitating barn
When I reached it I discovered that since her visit one corner and the whole end wall had been seriously undermined by the burn. I did find an easy crossing there just upstream of the Loch Burn confluence. I reached my second objective of the day - Din Law - at about 12:30.
P1030118 s.JPG
Din Law's cairn with the dry stone dyke and my route to Garelet Dod on the far slope
With sunset just over three hours away and the day still sunny there was time to take the high road back over Garelet Dod, Erie Hill and Garelet Hill and avoid any more river crossings.
P1030120 s.JPG
The route from Garelet Dod to Erie Hill with Laird's Cleuch Rig beyond.
On the way I followed the fence past Laird's Cleugh Rig and regretted it. What started as a track soon faded away and the route over the top would have been faster. I arrived at Garelet Hill's eroded trig point about 80 minutes before sunset with plenty of time to descend.
P1030124 s.JPG
Garelet Hill and its eroding trig point
P1030125 s.JPG
The way down to the bridge over the Games Hope Burn, and early birds car next to it and mine further to the right
On the way down at about 430m altitude I found a path to the north of Witch Linn that led north-east a short distance to a series of zigzags leading me steeply down to duck under some fence wires.
P1030126 s.JPG
Looking back up at my descent route with its potential wild wood
The area from the fence upwards has been planted by the Borders Forest Trust and is another place where care is needed.
P1030128 s.JPG
The view back after ducking under the fence
The saplings should be easily seen by anyone climbing up or down. I'd expect them all to be looking carefully at the ground because it is so steep.
P1030129 s.JPG
The route zigzags up the slope to the right of the waterfalls
A very fine day alone on the hills with nothing moving except the river and its waterfalls. There was a car parked at the bridge when I started, and it was still there when I left. I had half-expected to meet the ocupant(s) during my walk but saw no signs of anyone else.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Gameshope saplings and a levitating barn

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 am

A nice area - I shared the bothy with one of the guys running a volunteer planting session somewhere on the Gameshope side a few years ago, but there's quite a lot of new (but slightly older) planting to the north of the road too.

I still have Din Law to pick up, but I'm hoping to get it from the south...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland