walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Christmas Eve Stroll on Beinn Tharsuinn

Christmas Eve Stroll on Beinn Tharsuinn

Postby malky_c » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn (Ardross)

Date walked: 24/12/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 655m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn Tharsuinn.
Date: 24/12/2018.
Distance: 15 km.
Ascent: 655m.
Time taken: 4 hourss.
Weather: Sunny and cold but calm.

Finally a few hours with no real chores on Christmas Eve, so I decided to head out to the hills fairly close to home. The weather forecast was good, and it turned out to be correct 8) . I've been meaning to take another wander up Beinn Tharsuinn for a while - it's conveniently close to home and has some great and unusual views. Only took 9.5 years to get round to it again :lol: .

Sunrise over Wyvis from the house

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There is a new distillery being built in Strathrusdale, and there is a temporary parking area for walkers a short distance up the track behind Mains farm. I set off past Loch Dubh and to the edge of the forest. There was a gate to climb here, then some heathery moorland to cross. With a bit of effort and a couple of other fence crossings, I was approaching the first cairn on Cnoc an t-Sithean Mor.

Strathrusdale

Loch Dubh

Carn Chuinneag

Ben Wyvis

Cromarty Firth

Meall Mor

Ben Wyvis across Strathrusdale

The weather was fantastically clear, and as I got onto the ridge, it was possible to make out Cul Mor, Suilven and Canisp in the distance. There's a few hills like this over on the east coast, where you get an unexpected view through a gap to Assynt 8) .

Cromarty

Looking NW from Beinn Tharsuinn

...with some premier league hills in the background: Suilven and Canisp

Beinn Tharsuinn from Cnoc an t-Sithean Mor

The going on the ridge is easy in some places and heathery in others, with some peat hags on the traverse over to the main bulk of the hill. I decided to head for the northern summit, and also beyond to Sithean a' Choin Bhain, to look down onto the Dornoch Firth and get the best views north. More hags took me over to much easier going terrain at the trig point.

Ben Wyvis and Meall Mor

Assynt from Beinn Tharsuinn

Cromarty Firth and Cairngorms

Dornoch Firth

Summit photo

Across the Black Isle to the Cairngorms

It was an easy descent and minor re-ascent to Tor Leathann, before some long grass led me to a gate at the edge of the forest. From there it was just a case of following the forestry tracks back to the car. A satisfying day out, although I was surprised how much longer it took me doing the whole thing as a walk (I had previously followed pretty much the same route but run the forestry track and downhill sections, saving over 90 minutes on today's time).

Back to the summit from Torr Leathann

Descent to the forest

Sunset over Wyvis
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland