walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norman's Law and Coinneach's first hill

Norman's Law and Coinneach's first hill

Postby KatTai » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Norman's Law

Date walked: 27/12/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hunting around for a walk for today the promise of sunshine made the opportunity of heading up a hill too tempting. But which to choose? In winter I'm mainly limited to the sub-2000 list and this is where I turned to seek out a potential target for the day and there just on the other side of the Tay was a red balloon marking Norman's Law, a hill that had a guide here on Walk Highlands and a relatively straightforward route. It was perfect.

1.jpg
Coinneach

We found the car park at Luthie Village Hall - driving through the village take the turning to the right just beyond a bus stop, take another right and follow the road down a short distance the car park is on the right - and headed down onto the road and following the signs down a road past a farm where there were cattle in sheds. At the end of the road we followed the track to the right - again this was signposted for Norman's Law - with more cows and calves in the field (separated from us by a nice fence).

b.jpg
calf

Just beyond the field of cows there is a bit of construction work going on. There is a new big green barn-type thing opposite the cottage. For our walk we passed in front of the barn following the track around to the back of it and up the hill taking a fork to the left that headed up the hill.

d.jpg
Really liked these trees...

The track became grassy and eventually narrowed into a path as it winded it's way up and down at the edge of a small woodland eventually coming out at the base of the hill where there was a gate and a wider track that can be used for the circuit. Almost directly opposite the gate is another grassy track that leads the way up the hill. It gets steep in places and it was a bit slippy with the mud but we made our way up the views looking pretty good though it was too hazy to see far.

5.jpg
Moss with Norman's Law behind

As the track dipped down I realised we weren't alone - there were cattle out on the hill but they were far enough away not to concern me on the ascent so we kept on heading up until we reached the summit. And some wisps of low cloud. Oh well!

11.jpg
Moss tip-toeing around the summit

I tied Coinneach to the trig point for his first ever sub-2000 summit photo, the first hill he has ticked off. Hopefully there will be many more to come! Moss of course is an old-hand at this summit posing lark!

13.jpg
Summit pose!

We headed back down the path the same way we had came up and this is when it became more difficult because I'm not used to having to descend steeper sections with a dog on the lead! Moss and Millie before her were both trustworthy off lead and the only time they had to stay on the lead for steeper sections were if there were sheep close by. Coinneach is a different matter. He had to stay on the lead because his recall is really bad and coupled with a high prey drive (he tried to chase a blackbird up the steps to the house when we got back) the chances of him getting to run free on the hills with Moss are pretty slim! So it was a bit of a balancing act me taking a step down and then guiding Coinneach down to where I wanted him to wait so I could proceed down the next bit and so on. I was glad it was just a couple of short sections.

14.jpg

We reached the track and went to continue the circuit round but there were fresh cowpats on the ground and I was sure the track was going to take us round closer to where the cows were...yeah, I chickened out. We returned the same way rather than chance going too close to the cows. I'm sure they are lovely, friendly beasts, the ones we passed in the field certainly didn't pay much attention to us, but I could avoid them so I did!

g.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland