walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blaeloch HIll

Blaeloch HIll

Postby McMole » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Blaeloch Hill

Date walked: 27/12/2018

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After some lacklustre drizzle on the way to park at the start of the wind farm track, the rest of the day was dry though overcast with the summits in cloud most of the time.
Blaeloch Hill route s.gif
P1030179 s.JPG
Yes it's a fountain , not a leaking car radiator
The building by the start of the track had an uncommon outdoor feature - a fountain. As I walked along the track I soon realised from deposits thereon that I might meet more than just sheep on the hill - and I did. A small herd of cattle were on the track as I rounded a corner, but they had politely moved aside by the time I reached them. I noticed a small highland cow amongst them as I passed.
P1030181b s.JPG
The friendly herd
Instead of heading due south and direct to the summit, I decided to visit the first wind turbine.
P1030185 s.JPG
Gabions aplenty as track climbs the hill
As I neared it I met a van driving back down the track and shortly afterwards took a snap of the turbines.
P1030187 s.JPG
The wind farm comes into view
Not long afterwards the cloud lowered and any views of the surrounding countryside from the summit disappeared.
028 s.JPG
And disappears by the time I reach the summit area
There is no cairn to mark the summit (at NS 24329 55317), but there are a couple of exposed boulders just a few metres from where my GPS placed it.
030 s.JPG
Blae Loch
I diverted to view the Blae Loch then took the direct route to the wind farm track and so to the car meeting a pair of walkers en route. This walk was also the first in new boots. The bog trot during my last walk up Hill of Stake had finally convinced me that perpetually wet socks should not be compulsory, and boots that leaked so enthusiastically in only a inch or so of water deserved to be retired.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland