walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Glas-choire mince pie burnoff

Carn Glas-choire mince pie burnoff

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Glas-choire

Date walked: 29/12/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 480m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Carn Glas-choire.
Date: 29/12/2018.
Distance: 14 km.
Ascent: 480m.
Time taken: 3 hours, 5 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, very windy, mild (cold wind).

Time to clear a little of the Christmas lard away with a short excursion to the hills. The weather wasn't looking great for going up high so I decided on something a little closer to home. Having been up Carn Glas-choire from Auchterteang previously, I opted for a different approach. Going from the Findhorn near Tomatin looked a bit long and boggy, so I came up with another route starting on the old A9 halfway between Slochd and Carrbridge. In order to save a mile or so of driving, I daftly decided to start at a track leading to a railway bridge and then on to Foregin. After an initial easy walk, the track disappeared into windblown trees and a burn crossing, and the bridge over the railway no longer existed beyond the parapets!

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The ‘track’ from the old A9

I'll not say what I did at the railway, but I decided I would be finding a different way back instead. Easy walking took me through open grazing and short heather across the Allt na Criche to the shoulder of Carn a' Chuaille.

Near Foregin

Looking back to Strathspey

Crossing the Allt a' Bhainne was a little harder going - due to the deeper heather rather than the size of the burn. Then an up and down traverse over mainly easy ground (shortish heather and moss) to Carn Loisgte.

Allt a' Bhainne

A couple of minor peat hags were also crossed on the way, and it was clear that there would be a few more on the final traverse to the summit. I even fell in one!

Carn Glas-choire from Creag a' Bhainne

Moss on the plateau

Loch Braigh Bhruthaich and Carn Glas-choire

Loch Braigh Bhruthaich

On the final approach to the summit, the wind increased a bit more, to the point of being quite tedious. It wasn't particularly difficult to walk in, but it was quite keen to remove my hat.

Approaching the summit

East towards Lochindorb

South from the summit

I didn't hang around on the summit, retracing my steps briefly along the fenceline before peeling off and dropping down to the Allt Ruigh Magaig. After a heathery descent initially, I joined an estate track which led me easily back to East Foregin.

Cairngorms

Cairngorm plateau from the descent

Lairig Ghru prominent

Not wanting to fight through forest and railway again, I decided to follow the track back towards Baddengorm, then walk back up the road to my car.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland