walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a Wander on West Lomond

a Wander on West Lomond

Postby Alfachick » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: West Lomond

Date walked: 02/01/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 164m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after blowing away the cobwebs on benaquhillie the other day I managed to persuade some friends to come out on a "new years day walk" on the 2nd.... more likely to be legal to drive and also more likely for people to be able to move their bodies without being ill. :lol:

So with a full car we set off for the kingdom of Fife!

We took the straightforward route straight from the car park up the hill and back down. The original plan was to do both East and West Lomond but time and our fitness levels were against us so we just scaled it back to just the one hill. Oh no we will have to come back to this beautiful area!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The views were pretty good although it was a little hazy so we couldn't see all the way to the highlands as promised. However we could see the Sidlaws and pretty much the whole of the tay estuary.

IMG_1398.jpg
Brutus on the trig

IMG_1404.jpg
Views of Lochleven

IMG_1430.jpg
The way back down and East Lomond in the distance
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Re: a Wander on West Lomond

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Nice.

Probably wise to avoid the 1st. I parked at the town end of East Lomond that day, and went over it to the car park which was HOOCHING with cars, all along the road for yards as well. Then I walked down Maspie Den and back. You have to come back in a really cold snap when you can walk behind the waterfall in Maspie Den and take photos of the icicles.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: a Wander on West Lomond

Postby Alfachick » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Yes I am glad we avoided the 1st but even so the car park was pretty full when we arrived and by the time we left folk were parking along the sides of the road. I couldn't believe how busy it was, well I could!

Thats a top tip about going behind Mapsie Den and the Icicles! Thanks for that :D
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland