walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a Crock

What a Crock

Postby Alfachick » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Crock

Date walked: 04/01/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9.05 km

Ascent: 324m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well whilst continuing on my mission to get back my hill fitness and lose some of the festive flair I decided that I would go walking again today. I had grand plans to tick off Crock, Creigh Hill and Mile Hill today. :shock: ... Yeah lets face it that was never going to happen! :lol:

I had done my research and looked at all the different ways up Crock, I decided that since the trees had now been felled and that someone had mentioned new ones were being planted that I had better do this hill ASAP before it got back to the drainage ditch territory. :lol:

So Crock was first. Parked the car at Freuchies and set off up the forestry track which was in very good condition, probably helped by the fact that it was frozen underfoot. The dog was super happy to be allowed to run free, he knew we were going to be going on an epic.

So I thought I would take the "direct" route up the side of the hill just past Tulloch I turned off the main forestry path to try and follow what I must have imagined was a "route" up the hill. Its funny how your mind plays tricks on you sometimes you know. At one point during my many stops I realised that I couldn't go back down it as it was too steep and gnarly for me not to risk breaking an ankle, after huffing and puffing my way up this hellish slope for what felt like forever I came across the track that was marked on the OS 1:25,000 scale map, buoyed on by this I just carried on straight up the hill.

IMG_1433.jpg
Thats a path right?

IMG_1434.jpg
About 1/3rd of the way up realising my mistake

IMG_1437.jpg
Whats taking you so long?!

The top was reached finally. It just never seemed to be getting any closer for a while there! Also I was cursing my decision to have put thermal long johns on this morning I was ROASTING. But yep got there only to find Brutus already standing on the small cairn looking proud of himself.

IMG_1438.jpg
The top at last

The views were extensive today, which was wonderful as it always always makes all the up hill worth it. It was a nice 5-10 mins spent hill spotting, cooling off, and catching my breath before the staunter down the hill via the tourist track. Why didn't I go up that way! WHY!

IMG_1441.jpg
Mayer and Driesh

IMG_1442.jpg
The Glenshee hills

So after taking in the views and hill spotting I made my way north along the ridge of the hill aiming for the track in the woods indicated on the 1:25,000 OS map. Thankfully it was there! It made it really easy on the way down. Although it was quite eerie walking in to the dark woodland where there was no sound apart from my own echo.

IMG_1444.jpg
Eerie

This track joins another over grown forestry track and that then joins the main one which takes you all the way back to the car.

Why I didn't go up this way I do not know. However if I had I wouldnt have had such a rewarding day I guess? :?

Anyway. I will have to make the trip back to the area to tick off the last of the angus hills, I don't think I will manage them in one day! :lol: So multiple trips to this beautiful and quiet part of the country.

In conclusion..... Crock, could be easy but why do that when you can make it an ankle threatening lung busting ascent? :roll:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Re: What a Crock

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Yet another opportunity for me to post my photo of Crock before the felling. Everyone should be forced to do something like this once in their ifetime. Alas, the opportunity to do it on Crock has gone, as amply illustrated by your report. However, I grant that you DID have to sufer

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

Crock used to be a fine hill back in the day as amply demonstrated by Sgurr's photo. Sadly my own photos from a similar bygone age have been deleted and are no longer in my report. The hill has been ruined by ar**holes in big yellow diggers, I tell ye! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alfachick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I love that photo so much! It just always brings a smile to my face. I have to admit I was wondering where exactly this drainage ditch could have been when I was wheezing my way up the hill :lol:

I had plans to do another small hill today but my calves were screaming at me as soon as I started walking today so it was a modified flat walk which was on the menu for todays dog walk. Still I will be back in the area and I will turn those red balloons blue!
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm

I feel I've done my fair share of tree bashing over the years, so I'm looking forward to climbing Crock without the trees. Your route looks a pretty good one to me too.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:34 pm

What a lovely crock!
Never even knew this hill existed. Well done on getting out and about.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland