walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Got there in the end!

Got there in the end!

Postby pmallan1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 05/01/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 820m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Eventually! I have tried and failed to do this hill several times. The first time was back in 2013 during a rather ambitious November outing up Cairn a Mhaim, Ben Macdui and hoping to get to Derry. The blizzard, darkness and then torrential rain forced us out of that one! Next was a try with the neighbour to the north, Beinn Mheadhoin but again, this was in March and the darkness made us retreat. A third attempt the following year, I turned up with bikes but couldn't get along the path to Derry Lodge because of the hard packed ice after the winter of snow we'd had.

So eventually, in January, with barely any snowfall and a wonderful forecast of potential cloud inversion, I made it to the top. Didn't even take the bike to shorten the trek to Derry Lodge.

And the views were incredible. Better than I had hoped for. I wish I could upload some photos but my iphone picture size doesn't seem compatible... Maybe next time.
pmallan1
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:15

Re: Got there in the end!

Postby Grisu » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:54 pm

pmallan1 wrote:And the views were incredible. Better than I had hoped for. I wish I could upload some photos but my iphone picture size doesn't seem compatible... Maybe next time.

Sounds like a good walk after all the fruitless toils but what a shame about the picture!
If you like, you can reduce the size of the pictures f.e. with the program paint 3D which comes with windows 10. There are explanations in the internet. The size of a picture shouldn't be bigger than 500 KB.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland