walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chir, Arran

A'Chir, Arran

Postby oap2046 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 850m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A’Chir, Isle of Arran

I was first encouraged to attempt A’Chir by Ronald Meek who wrote a little book “Hill-Walking in Arran” in the mid 60’s. The complete A’Chir ridge is probably reserved for those who have a fair degree of skill in scrambling and have access to ropes. However the southern section of the ridge up to the summit is suitable for those who like scrambling, have a good head for heights, and want to experience the best scrambling south of the Isle of Skye where ropes are not necessary.

Start by climbing out of Glen Rosa up the Garbh Allt burn at grid reference 983387 and after going through a deer fence walk almost north to Beinn a Chliabhain where excellent views of A’Chir and the other Arran Hills are seen (see photo). Follow the ridge past the Bowman’s Pass and round a narrow path under overhanging cliffs to your left to reach to beginning of the A’Chir ridge at grid reference 963415. There is a well defined path leading up A’Chir which should be followed. Once you arrive at the granite slabs of which A’Chir is composed, (see photo) you should try to reach the ridge as soon as possible and basically stay as high as you can. There seem to be lots of evidence of “routes” which lead nowhere and since they will have been used in both directions, they seem to be more pronounced that the correct routes. If, however, you are in doubt of any route, go up not down. The granite offers excellent grip but is very rough on exposed knees and hands. A pair of rubbery gardening gloves gives good grip and prevents injuries.

After walking along the top of the ridge you come to a vertical drop of about 4m. There are plenty hand-holds and after going about halfway down I found that by putting my back against the wall and my feet on the opposite one that the final 2m were easy. If you wish to avoid this however, go back about 30m until you reach a rock with a hole in it (see photo). A route from here down on the Glen Iorsa side will take you round this obstacle. The route to the summit from here is straightforward although actually attaining the summit, which consists of a huge block of granite, is the most difficult on Arran.

There are two routes off A’Chir. Both lead from the foot of the 4m drop experienced earlier. The one into Glen Iorsa down a loose scree slope reaches the path by-passing A’Chir on the west and leads to the col between A’Chir and Cir Mhor. From here either drop down into Glen Rosa and the path back or continue up to Cir Mhor. The other, to the east, leads down a steep grassy slope into Coire Buidhe with A’Chir on your left. From here you can see the northern section of the ridge with some of its more challenging sections (see photo). The route down into Glen Rosa is the same as previously.
Attachments
1 On Beinn a Chliabhain.jpg
2 A'Chir before climbing to the ridge.jpg
3 Typical appearance of A'Chir slabs.jpg
4 Route up to the ridge.jpg
5 View down into Glen Iorsa.jpg
6 Famous rock with a hole in it.jpg
7 At foot of 4m drop before summit.jpg
One of the more challenging sections north of the summit.jpg
oap2046
Rambler

Re: A'Chir, Arran

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 am

I looked at that path (see pic below) and wondered whether a mountain coward would manage it - I may have a bash at it one day but doubt I'd make it up onto the first ridge from the pass. Richard tried and he couldn't get up after about 20 minutes of trying so I know I wouldn't!
Bealach a Fhir Bhogha traverse.JPG
mountain coward

Postby FMCKIE » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Superb and thankfully underated due to the summit not acheiving any of the popular lists. Biggest of all the Munro status. :D

Its something else in winter I did it from the North in 1983 or 82 and it took so long on the initial section we ended up doing the rest in the dark if I remember right I was the only one with a torch.It was the second attempt that winter being pretty much schoolboy novices it certainly gave us a baptism of fire. Cracking place.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby SherpaDavid » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:52 pm

At the age of 19 I unwittingly walked this ridge. I remember a skull and crossbones sign at the summit of A Chir and a useful arrow suggesting which way to go which I followed (just had to get to Cir Mhor). It was airy, but not an overly difficult scramble, and walking along a narrow edge on a cliff side was quite exciting. It was only a few days later reading a guide book that it said a rope was needed; Ooops. Finished the day on the summit of Goat Fell, which surprisingly proved to be about the most uninteresting of the magnificent Arran tops.
SherpaDavid
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland