walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easing in to 2019 with a walk up Galloway's Fell of Fleet

Easing in to 2019 with a walk up Galloway's Fell of Fleet

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Fell of Fleet

Date walked: 01/01/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was wanting to get my 2019 off to a good start, so managed to wangle a New Year's day walk out of MrsR :lol: I thought it would be advisable to be home at a reasonable time to enjoy the roast MrsR was cooking, so opted for something relatively close to home.

I must admit though that Fell of Fleet had never been a hill that had filled me with much enthusiasm. I'd always had it in my head it was going to be something of a slog.......involving trees :lol: Thankfully though the tree fellers have been felling and with good access tracks to the foot of the hill gaining the summit did not involve quite as much huff n puff as I'd feared.

ImageP1050767 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Parked up at NX546751, where there is plenty of room for a few cars to park without blocking the track

ImageP1050769 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Nice pleasant walk to the foot of the hill - only met a couple of couples out walking their dogs

ImageP1050780 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
the OS map shows a track heading off the main track at NX552714, although if you blink you'll missit, given it is overgrown.........I blinked and missed it :lol:

ImageP1050783 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Once you're on it ther track actually provides an excellent and quite gentle ascent up the side of the hill. Got me up to about 370 metres

ImageP1050787 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Nice views opening up as I gained height

ImageP1050788 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The track continued, making easy work of the initial climb

ImageP1050790 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
All changed as I hit the high point of the track. Now was time to gird loins and head off on to the open hillside. This was tough going, with much tussocky terrain, with plenty of potential to break ankles....or worse.

ImageP1050792 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Somewhere in there I was following a vague track of sorts. Could have been animal or human, but if it helped make it easier I was using it.

ImageP1050797 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Once I'd hit the plateau I was faced with this :shock: Reminded me of Fleet's neighbour Cairnsmore, the Black Craig of Dee - something of a b'st*rd of a hill that had taken two attempts to overcome previously. There were though plenty of tracks on Fleet (I assume animal) that made progress a little less painful and soon I was making the final, very short climb to the summit cairn

ImageP1050804 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
First summit of the year :D

ImageP1050805 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1050808 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1050811 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A selection of summit views

ImageP1050814 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The Black Craig of Dee.......looks so benign, but don't be fooled :lol:

It was a tad chilly on the summit, so I wasn't for hanging around. For my descent I chose to make a circuit by heading off down the north eastern spur toward Shaw Hill(ish). Pathless, heathery stuff, but pretty uneventful. That was until the final steep descent was reached :lol:

ImageP1050825 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Looking back to Fell of Fleet as I dropped off the hill

ImageP1050828 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The photo makes it look not too bad, but truat me it was a bit of a pig, even if it only lasted a short distance

ImageP1050831 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Looking back the way I had been descending

Unfortunately I had conspired to not head quite where I'd wanted. Had I hugged the edge of the forestry I'd have been in a wide fire break........but I didn't and so somehow ended up confronted by some very nice trees and horrendous underfoot conditions - the detritus from previous fellings, which were all very slippery and often rotten, as I discovered when I trod on it :lol:

ImageP1050837 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Oops

ImageP1050839 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Eventually sourced another firebreak, although to be honest it was still pretty rough going until I was finally deposited on to the main track

ImageP1050843 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
My descent off the Fell of Fleet. Certainly slowed me up somewhat :lol:

ImageP1050844 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Easy going from now on en route back to the car

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

All in all a really good walk and a pleasing way to kick off my 2019 walking. My second walk of the year was something very different, but that's another story.......
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Easing in to 2019 with a walk up Galloway's Fell of Flee

Postby Alfachick » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 pm

That stuff you walked down is horrific to walk on! Ankle breaking territory for sure. I always think when I am in that stuff how embarrassing it would be to have to call out mountain rescue or the likes on such a tiny hill, that thought always makes me take it a little slower and more carefully :lol: :shock:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Ooft well i'll definitely not be taking the other half to the Fell of Fleet considering it looks like you had to deal with a temporate jungle with no tracks or paths at all, thanks for the heads up, i'll take a machete when I do this one alone! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby PeteR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Alfachick wrote:That stuff you walked down is horrific to walk on! Ankle breaking territory for sure. I always think when I am in that stuff how embarrassing it would be to have to call out mountain rescue or the likes on such a tiny hill, that thought always makes me take it a little slower and more carefully :lol: :shock:

I've done my fair share of conifer basing over the years and descending off pretty awful slopes. It's almost something I take for granted now.......albeit I take it for granted quite slowly :lol: Certainly some of these so called "lesser" hills can present quite a challenge in getting up them and then back down.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Ooft well i'll definitely not be taking the other half to the Fell of Fleet considering it looks like you had to deal with a temporate jungle with no tracks or paths at all, thanks for the heads up, i'll take a machete when I do this one alone! :lol:

:lol: :lol: MrsR wouldn't have been impressed if I'd dragged her along to this one either. The access tracks are superb and once on the hill there are animal trods that can be followed (but with a note of caution that they might not be heading where you want to go). It was only that steep descent that really slowed me down on the day. That aside it really is a good little hill to visit.....much better than I had been expecting for sure.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Looks like a good walk Pete, having not visited the Fell I had to have a look and see where it is.
It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, I plotted out a route with a view to tackling her this year on my way home and hey ho, it would be the same as yours.
I take it the Southern Upland Way is a good track Pete? I may even utilise my two wheeled friend!!
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Looks like a good walk Pete, having not visited the Fell I had to have a look and see where it is.
It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, I plotted out a route with a view to tackling her this year on my way home and hey ho, it would be the same as yours.
I take it the Southern Upland Way is a good track Pete? I may even utilise my two wheeled friend!!

Martin, the SUW is an excellent track, as is the one that climbs the side of the hill......if you can find that one.

Not sure about the mountain bike. It wasn't a big circuit, so walking the tracks was easy. Not sure you would necessarily save a lot of time to be honest, especially if you were looking to make it a circuit. But then again I'm a purist and don't know what a mountain bike us :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland