walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just a shadow (of my former self) - Part 2

Just a shadow (of my former self) - Part 2

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Aodann Chleireig, Meall Onfhaidh

Date walked: 05/01/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a fine sleep, interrupted only very briefly and temporarily by Kev's futile fumbling with the fire around 4am, we had breakfast, packed, cleaned the fire out (well Kev did anyway, while I took the spade and went to deal with the problem now being caused by last night's Chew Chew! :shock:) and generally spruced the joint up a bit before moving out.

Today's business involved walking out to the cars over the two Grahams, with considerably lighter packs. We were essentially carrying only sleeping gear and cooking gear (plus quite a few crushed cans of Chew Chew, Wanganui and Mind the Gap, all courtesy of the wonderful Fallen Brewery).

IMG_8716.JPG
Meall a'Phubuill from the climb up the track - Ground Hog Day but only with packs this time!

IMG_8717.JPG
Now off piste, ascending Onfhaidh

IMG_8719.JPG
Bheinn Bhan down Glen Loy from the ascent of Meall Onfhaidh

IMG_8721.JPG
Cairngorm-esque underfoot on the approach to the summit of the first Graham

IMG_8722.JPG
Meall a'Phubuill from the summit of Meall Onfhaidh

IMG_8724.JPG
First Graham of 2019

IMG_8725.JPG
Meall a'Phubuill wedged between the very upper reaches of Glen Mallie and Glen Loy

IMG_8728.JPG
Aodann Chleireig from Meall Onfhaidh

IMG_8730.JPG
Descent towards Glen Fhionnlighe

Once again, I was feeling the effects of the ascent and struggling to feel like the old me again in the hills, just as I had done yesterday. Where had my former glory gone I wondered? I guess over time, fewer trips and less hill time per year have just blunted the hill sharpness I once had. And of course, like everybody else, I'm not getting any younger. Maybe I just have to accept that I'm cracking on a bit. I guess a fairly hectic festive period involving quite a few parties and during which time I had survived primarily on ale and party food might also have had something to do with it, and as Kev helpfully pointed out, quite a few Taliskers and Chew Chews were taken on board last night in the bothy. :lol: And since we lost Lucy almost a year ago now, I have not been getting my regular walks in the morning and/or evening. Even in her latter years, when she was generally getting only one short plod around the block of an evening as opposed to the two lengthy daily walks she used to get up Kinnoull Hill, she was still a reason for me to get out every day and walk. That hasn't been happening for the last year and maybe it's only now that I realise the benefit I was getting from it.

IMG_8734.JPG
Meall Onfhaidh from the ascent of Aodann Chleireig

IMG_8735.JPG
Gulvain

As I puffed my way up onto our second and final Graham of the trip, the views began to open up into Choire Reidh and beyond to the high bealach between Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan where almost exactly 6 months ago I had managed to become completely befuddled in the clag and failed to successfully navigate my way onto the Corbett. :twisted:

IMG_8738.JPG
There be demons! Choire Reidh between Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan

IMG_8739.JPG
Summit of Aodann Chleireig

It had been another fairly uneventful but thoroughly pleasant walk over the two Grahams and now we set course back to Fassfern. The landscape looked more reminiscent of a late October day than the first few days of January but on the exposed tops and broad ridges, it was certainly cold enough to feel like the depths of winter, even if there was not as much as a fleck of snow to be seen. A few semi-frozen puddles was about all that winter had to offer on the ground.

From our second Graham, we headed south east along the broad, flat, lochan studded ridge of Drium Beag to descend to a gate at the edge of the forestry that would, via a rather overgrown and abandoned old landrover track, lead us back down onto the motorways of the modern day forestry tracks, clearly well used by diggers and the likes in forestry and felling operations.

IMG_8741.JPG
Gulvain from Aodann Chleireig

IMG_8744.JPG
Gulvain, Meall Onfhaidh and Meall a'Phubuill from the Druim Beag

IMG_8746.JPG
Kev descending the Druim Beag

IMG_8748.JPG
Meall Onfhaidh, Meall a'Phubuill and Glen Loy

IMG_8752.JPG
Gateway to the track of doom

We were back at the cars on the dot of 1 o'clock and almost as soon as it had started, another annual winter bothy meet was consigned to the annals of folklore.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Just a shadow (of my former self) - Part 2

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 am

Yer too hard on yourself. Once you get your Springer spaniel, you’ll be back to your old self. 🥴
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland