walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Still no bull!

Still no bull!

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dungavel Hill

Date walked: 12/01/2019

Time taken: 0.4 hours

Distance: 2.5 km

Ascent: 190m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first hill of 2019, and it's set the bar pretty low for walk report complexity and excitement! The only real thrill of anticipation was dealing with Dungavel's fearsome bovine guards, but like others who have recently tackled the hill, there was no bull, cows or calves to be seen…just the warning notice.

2019-01-12 10.51.25.jpg
The scary notice, with no scary bovines to be seen

I had a look at this hill a couple of summers ago, after I'd been up Cairn Table, but that day the rain and wind had really come on strong, so I decided to give it a miss. This time, the forecast was more benevolent, so after a morning parkrun, I was ready for some more exercise and another go at Dungavel. I parked at the cattle grid on the high point of the minor road between the B7055 and Roberton.

From here, the route to the top is pretty straightforward—east up faint ATV tracks that quickly peter out, then as the slope steepens, slanting up to meet the fence that runs ESE to the summit. The wind was coming from the W so it was easy going after the slope eased off, and I was soon at the summit, with its recumbent trig point.

2019-01-12 11.10.40.jpg
Sleepy trig pillar

Tinto and the higher Culter hills were in cloud, and rain clouds blocked the view to the west, but otherwise Dungavel is a nice place to admire the upper Clyde Valley. The descent route was a slightly more direct version of my ascent, and I was soon back at the car, having avoided the rain that arrived soon after.

Getting to 100 sub 2ks this year might be a bit ambitious, but it was good to be back on the hills again.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Still no bull!

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Hahaha brilliant, I saw the walk report title and instantly knew what hill it was about! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland