walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Prince - a Collie amongst the Munros

Prince - a Collie amongst the Munros

by past my sell by date » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 12/06/1986

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Prince - a Collie amongst the Munros

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 pm

What a wonderful life your dog had, like others reading this brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eyes.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Grisu » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Instead of replying directly to your comment on my Beinn a Ghlo-Report I had a look into your stories and choose to read this because I've been up Beinn a'Bheithir already twice, each time I had great walks and the two Munros had been my very first, so I could connect with the area and with some nice memories.
I didn't expect such a heart-touching hommage to your dog and I pretty well know what it means to go to the vet with the beloved animal for the last time, it is simply heart-breaking. Going over all the walks with this faithful fellow is such a nice way to commemorate. (Only a shame that a lot of pictures are not displayed.)
I am very happy that I have chosen this. Thanks for sharing!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Grisu wrote:Instead of replying directly to your comment on my Beinn a Ghlo-Report I had a look into your stories and choose to read this because I've been up Beinn a'Bheithir already twice, each time I had great walks and the two Munros had been my very first, so I could connect with the area and with some nice memories.
I didn't expect such a heart-touching hommage to your dog and I pretty well know what it means to go to the vet with the beloved animal for the last time, it is simply heart-breaking. Going over all the walks with this faithful fellow is such a nice way to commemorate. (Only a shame that a lot of pictures are not displayed.)
I am very happy that I have chosen this. Thanks for sharing!

I think I failed to tick a sharing box in google photos - They should all be OK now
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Grisu » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm

past my sell by date wrote: ...
I think I failed to tick a sharing box in google photos - They should all be OK now

Just what I thought, now it works, nice pictures, especially the last :D
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:51 am

Another picture has surfaced - with the Reluctant ramblers somewhere in the Lake District and posing perfectly for the camera as usual :D :lol: Here it is
Prince and others.jpg

And now another - looking back down Greenburn to Little Langale tarn - I think :lol:
Alec & Prince, Lake District.jpeg
Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby R1ggered » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:34 pm

:clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Moobli » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:48 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about Prince's adventures in the hills over his lifetime, and seeing the beautiful photos. There's no better place to be than the hills with a faithful dog by your side.

This was my dog, Zak who I also lost prematurely to cancer :( He loved being out in the hills with me too.

zakglenetive.jpg

zakglenetive2.jpg
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:21 pm

Wonderful tribute to a fantastic companion. I couldn't get over how poised he was on all those trips, but then I'm used to spaniels who bounce through the heather and only pose when food is involved :lol: :lol: Sadly they too have climbed their last Munro, one day I'll write about them and hope to create as fitting a tribute for them as this is for Prince. Many thanks for the inspiration.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:37 pm

Moobli wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about Prince's adventures in the hills over his lifetime, and seeing the beautiful photos. There's no better place to be than the hills with a faithful dog by your side.

This was my dog, Zak who I also lost prematurely to cancer :( He loved being out in the hills with me too.

Oh Zak looks lovely - and yes they do love being out on the hills - I guess there are lots of new and exciting "smells" there, that we don't perceive, but they're probably different from the "routine" smells in their home environment :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland